Former Tory MP gives backing to Thurrock UKIP

FORMER Conservative MP, Teresa Gorman has given her backing to the UKIP campaign in Thurrock.

Orsett resident,Mrs Gorman, 81, was the Conservative MP for Billericay from 1987 to 2001.

Mrs Gorman was one of the Maastricht Rebels, who nearly brought John Major’s government down over the Treaty of Maastricht.

Mrs Gorman is one of the signatories for the Orsett candidate for the local elections, Steven Mason.

Speaking to YT, Thurrock UKIP leader, Clive Broad said: “Mrs Gorman has been with us for some time. She is fed up with the present situation and wants to see change.”

19 Responses to "Former Tory MP gives backing to Thurrock UKIP"

1. jmw118   April 25, 2012 at 10:39 am

More embarrassment for the local Tories.
    They need to be able to the right of reply on YT.

2. chickenfeed1   April 25, 2012 at 11:16 am

If I have not understood the article I apologise, but we are talking about the local elections, yes? As I have not seen a UKIP candidate in Ockendon yet, infact I have only seen the conservative candidate at my door, I havent been able to ask what a UKIP councillor stands for. If I am not too mistaken their main centre of interest is to leave the EU, and a councillor cannot influence that. Please someone out there enlighten me.

3. Lambo   April 26, 2012 at 6:47 am

jmw118, how is this an embarrassment to the local tories? Ms Gorman is a “Former” tory MP and it is 11 years since she was an MP for billericay, sorry but your statement is a bit outdated…

4. NoVoice   April 26, 2012 at 9:52 am

Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, Harriett Harperson, Ed Milbrain. So how more embarrassed could you be. Sorry forgot Sister Polly and Comrade Kent. They’d certainly make me blush a bit.

5. Number 1 Nigels Darling   April 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Well well… What a stunner and a GREAT lady… Welcome to common sense ville….It’s about time those around started to listen….. And she was always true to her word eben when Major was about.. See you up the Fox and Hounds Teresa the drinks are on Clive… Woops I meant me…

6. Number 1 Nigels Darling   April 26, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Well well… What a stunner and a GREAT lady… Welcome to common sense ville….It’s about time those around started to listen….. And she was always true to her word even when Major was about.. See you up the Fox and Hounds Teresa the drinks are on Clive… Woops I meant me

7. Ed   April 26, 2012 at 4:44 pm

No wonder UKIP have a spring in their steps if the rumours turn out to be true that certain Conservative candidate, who flirted with UKIP last year, gave the entire Merlin database of canvass returns for Thurrock from the Conservative Party to UKIP and has allegedly found its way to other political parties as well. Unfortunately for them the download supposedly recorded their name time and date. I wonder if he gets himself elected he will immediately be suspended then expelled from the Conservative Party if this rumour turns out to be true?

For political parties your canvass data is the most valuable information for knowing where your supporters are. It would be devastating for any political party if this information fell into rival political parties hands.

8. colin barnes   April 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Ed
    I think you are correct in your comments.yet I think you have missed a couple of important points.
    Firstly – if this information that is data protected has indeed fell in to other parties hands, then surly a large section of the Electrate could perceive this to be ELECTION RIGGING , coupled with the fact that Mr Anderson is actuly edging his bets by trying to run two elation campaigns.
    We have already heard from a candidate that he has been a life long member of the conservatives, yet because he was not given the seat he wished he stood as an independent.therefore Mr Anderson seems to be running a two horse race hoping to get one or the other ,has he been shopping at Asda.? Buy one get one free. He is not content with Merlin data base been given out,this is nothing more than election rigging in my opinion.? How can this man possibly think the people of Thurrock can support this party is beyond me.when Mr Anderson first come to the head of the conservatives we had high hopes,now all I see is a political party crawling from the gutter.

9. hot press   April 26, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Collin crawling out of the gutter they’d like to Crawl out of where they are now to the gutter. You are quiet right if Merlin data base material has been passed out by a conservative who is running in a local election this could be seen in my view of trying to dissolve a voting outcome In a ward it can be nothing else and can’t be perceived as anything else. Why on earth for what other reason would a Tory give out this information I don’t think mr Anderson knows the overriding seriousness of this breech of election rules and if this is not remedied my contention is if mr Anderson is aware of this situation the honourable thing would be to disqualify the councillor who gave out this information and then the leader would have to step down. Election rigging is a very serious matter and it just shows what a third world borough Thurrock is. Mr kasey I think ought to ask the proper authorities  about this situation before this fiasco turns into the serious issue which it is fast becoming. My good god where is Thurrock’s monitoring officer and what on earth is she doing to remedy this scandal.

10. Number 1 Nigels Darling   April 26, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I can state that I have heard NOTHING of this man and under such circumstances, Nigel and the local UKIP branch would not endorse anyone like this or want that candidate, if they were seen/known to be doing anything wrong.. We are a party that is doing all we can to weed out anyone that is not what the electorate deserves and wants.. So, I can not see any of this being true, and we have not received any data from anyone… Best look for spies within the other parties… Because we WON’T have them!!

11. georgy   April 26, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Nigel darling these links will explain everything to you

12. sallyb   April 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Nigel’s darlings
    I don’t believe anyone is talking about a Ukip candidate, it was in fact if I’m reading it correctly a Conservative candidate that gave info to a Ukip candidate.
    Apologises if I have read this wrong.
    It’s disgraceful for any memeber of a political party to do this.i do not care what party they belong to any one doing such a thing should be ousted at once.
    This is people’s personal information as well as voting preferences. Disgraceful or what.

13. Pingback: Defection rumour mill rumbles on as former MP quits Tories for UKIP | Political Scrapbook

14. chickenfeed1   April 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm

georgy- Can you please explain what the “you tube” link you have suggested we look at , has got to do with the argument posted re -Data loss?

Colin Barnes- Please explain what you mean by Mr Anderson running a two tier ELATION( I presume you mean ELECTION) ?

Ed- Please give us less informed mortals a clue as to where and how this rumour occured, obvioulsy I dont mean to embarrass you if you strated it on 26.04.2012 @4.44pm.Also sorry to be a pain but what is Merlin Database, is this something that is used solely or predominately by political parties? if so how do you know about this?

Hot Press- Please explain the following sentance as it does not make sense?
    “You are quiet right if Merlin data base material has been passed out by a conservative who is running in a local election this could be seen in my view of trying to dissolve a voting outcome In a ward it can be nothing else and can’t be perceived as anything else”

15. sallyb   April 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Chicken feed
    I also wondered what Merlin was all about ,i in fact googled it and all was explained.
    If a candidate was indeed giving this information out then it is quite a serious offence.as it contains vital information such as voting prefrences,addresses of voters & even telephone numbers.so as I say quite serious & not something that a political party would want to fall in to the wrong hands,let alone be given away by a candidate.so let’s hope that for residents sakes this is just a rumour.

16. Peter Perrin   April 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

chickenfeed. You do not need any enlightenment you are spot on. The elections in Thurrock on 3rd May, 2012 are LOCAL elections to elect Councillors to deal with LOCAL issues. Instead all we get is party political “rants” about issues the candidates have no more influence than you or I, other than when we vote in a General election. I have already commented elsewhere about the complaceny of some candidates, especially in Belhus. Read my comments posted on “Your Thurrock” under the heading “Ward by Ward: Belhus”

17. albert   April 29, 2012 at 2:13 am

chic i hope this link will help you

18. chickenfeed1   April 29, 2012 at 8:52 am

Sorry albert your link is not woking.

19. chickenfeed1   April 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

albet the link is now working, and it explains what merlin is but it doesnt go anywhere near answering the questions I posed to georgy, colin barnes or hot press on 27.04.12 @ 12.25, and as is always the same when a member of the public asks a question to one of the many political activists on this site, they all run back under their rocks to wait for the next bit of tripe they can peddle.