Green light given for Gull Lightship mast to return to Grays
Date posted: 03-09-2012
AN APPLICATION TO seek permission for the installation of the mast from the famous Gull Light Ship near to the Grays Yacht Club was passed by Thurrock Council’s planning committee.
The 75 foot mast is the only vestige of the famous ship that sunk in 1829.
The mast has been in storage outwith the borough for some time but with the support of Thurrock Council is now set to make a return.
The mast has been the project of Blackshots councillor Joy Redsell, who spoke at Thursdays meeting. Cllr Redsell thanked the committee for their support and highlighted the historical importance of the mast.