A GROUP of sheltered housing residents attended Thurrock council’s cabinet meeting on Wednesday (12th July) with Labour councillor Barbara Rice.

Residents

They wanted to see for themselves the discussion on Tory plans to hit them with a new £500-per-year charge. The plans were approved by the Conservative administration.

The residents were not impressed by what they saw. One of the group, Thelma Callender, said: “All the time we’re getting more and more taken off us but never getting anything back! The current state of our housing – we don’t feel safe anymore. We just don’t think we’ll ever see any value out of this new charge.”

Cllr Rice, on behalf of the residents, asked the Tory cabinet for reassurance that any new money raised would all be spent on sheltered housing.

However, speaking after the meeting she said “I think it’s disgraceful that we’re treating our older and more vulnerable residents like this. It’s outrageous that they are the ones being hit with the big new bills for basically the same service they’re already getting. I can’t see that there will be a huge improvement for the residents coming any time soon.”

Councillor Oliver Gerrish, leader of Thurrock Labour, said “When people hear about this new plan, they are outraged. Thurrock Tories are hitting some of the people least able to pay with these new charges.

“Thurrock Labour has been opposed to this from day one. We don’t think this is the right way for an administration to treat its residents. We need to make Thurrock a fairer place and Thurrock Tories have shown they are no longer interested in doing that.”

6 Responses to "Elderly residents slam Thurrock Council plan for £500-a-year sheltered housing hike"

1. Catching the Bus   July 13, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Why? where is this money really going to? I fear it will be used in other areas.

I feel more investigative journalism locally needs to be done on this.

I really fear it is the vulnerable and pensioners being taxed to cover the rich. it is the tory way I am afraid they tax the poor and give to the rich.

Jackie Doyle Price step in and sort this kind of thing out if you are a woman of the people.?

2. Catching the Bus   July 13, 2017 at 12:26 pm

I will not pay and will protest outside the council offices.

I mean £300 is a bit over the top i could pay a security guard to stand outside my flat for a week.

who is getting all this money a private contractor? the tories are all for switching public money to private ownership.

3. Catching the Bus   July 13, 2017 at 2:54 pm

I am going down the police station tomorrow to pick up the form to hold a protest.

I plan a number of protests.

1. Council Offices.
    2. Jobcentre Plus
    3. Jackie Doyle Price .

4. Catching the Bus   July 13, 2017 at 4:27 pm

This will push me onto benefits as I will fall under the limits for savings.

you are making me unemployable. as I am registered Blind and Mentally ill. having battled suicidal depression for 20 years.

I am speaking to the local media about this

5. Ed   July 13, 2017 at 6:49 pm

This should answer all your questions…

New tenants have already been paying. Leaseholders already pay. Those receiving Housing Benefits won’t pay as benefits will cover the increase.

6. Catching the Bus   July 13, 2017 at 9:11 pm

I am an Old tenant t therefore I have to pay and this puts me on benefits.

If housing benefit covers it then you the public will have to pay it.

Nice try Tory boy.

By the way I have added my name to my wordpress profile and I am starting a wordpress site to keep you tories in line.