John Kent 2017

TORY MP Jackie Doyle-Price urged by Labour to vote against Government’s plans to leave 2800 of Thurrock’s poorest children without a free school meal
JOHN Kent, Labour’s candidate in Thurrock has written to Jackie Doyle-Price urging her to put Thurrock’s poorest children before party loyalty, by voting against a Government plan to impose an income threshold on families currently receiving universal credit.
The policy, which the Government sought to sneak through without a vote claims Labour, will mean over 2800 of Thurrock’s children, many growing up in poverty, will not be able to access a free school meal, according to the Children’s Society. The charity estimates it could affect over a million children across the country.
For some children, this could mean the difference between eating a hot meal that day, or going hungry say Labour.
As part of the same measure, the government is also planning to remove free childcare from those earning above the threshold.

For those Thurrock families that are affected, the income threshold will create a cliff-edge, meaning some parents could be better off either reducing their hours, or not taking additional hours or pay rises, because moving just above the income threshold would leave them hundreds of pounds worse off for each child affected. This directly undermines the Government’s stated aim of Universal Credit, to make work pay.

The Government’s plans to restrict free school meals and free childcare will be brought to the Commons next week, following an intervention from Labour to bring these plans to a binding vote.
John Kent, Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Thurrock, has written to Jackie Doyle-Price, calling on her to vote the plans down. Speaking about the Government plans, John Kent said:
“The Tories are trying to leave over a million children without access to free school meals, that’s potentially 2,800 in our area alone.
“If Jackie Doyle-Price votes to literally take hot dinners away from the children of her constituents, I don’t know how she will be able to face Thurrock parents.
“The vote on Tuesday gives her an opportunity to show just whose side she is on; the poorest children in his constituency, or this Tory government imposing heartless cuts on low income families.
“I have written to Jackie Doyle-Price asking her to consider her priorities on Tuesday.”

14 Responses to "Labour’s John Kent puts pressure on MP Jackie Doyle-Price over Free School Meals vote"

1. thurrocksgonedownhill   March 12, 2018 at 8:53 am

Of course we need a threshold to stop the waste of public money.
    Yes, the genuine children should be catered for but I most of these parents have i phones and some sky tv.
    Make them feed their kids first before their tech gadgets. I see this often around the borough in my job.
    Some are genuine, granted but many are just parasites and sadly their cash for kids suffer.

2. Catching the Bus   March 12, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Your Job thurrocksgonedownhill your a pensioner you retired at 40 a billionaire remember. we should tax the rich more. 🙂

Sky Tv and a Iphone they must be doing good I don’t even have either and I am just scraping by.

wonder if I get Vikki up the dove I can claim
    for a jacuzzi

we are all tories now.

3. Ed   March 12, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Nobody who gets free school meals as part of the early roll out of Universal Credit will lose their entitlement once its complete. The people who will be subject to the means test are future Universal Credit claimants so John Kent can see into the future and knows 2,800 children will be born to working parents on low wages who will be claiming Universal Credit and not qualify for free school meals.

4. thurrocksgonedownhill   March 12, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Catching the Bus my friend.
    If you get your bird Vikki up the dove ( would this be her 14th child ?) it is likely I would end up keeping her and the kids while she shoplifts in Morrison’s, smokes weed (commonly available if your a Grays hillbilly) gambles on her i phone while her kids shoplift some more in Morrison’s and after a hard day screaming at the kids goes home to watch sky tv
    Now like you, dispite Maggie making me rich, I don’t have sky, i phones or 14 kids for cash. I used to have one pleasure in life and that was lighting my cigars with £5 notes, now they are polymer the Government has even took that away.

5. Catching the Bus   March 12, 2018 at 7:44 pm

Lighting your Cigars with £5 notes.

My god you are at the brink Vikki lights her joints with a £50 note stolen from the cash machine in Grays High Street.

6. thurrocksgonedownhill   March 12, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Shes a gal your Vikki. Guess we need more of her.The more you tell me about her, the more I like her. She must be eating the social services budget more than her £1 for 70 burgers.

7. Catching the Bus   March 12, 2018 at 9:05 pm

you will always find a case like that but for 99.5% they are genuine. Benefit fraud is at 0.5% so the tories say. But the right wing media makes out everyone is a fraudster and not fit to claim.
    But they are so happy when Billionaires tax dodge and get bailouts or as I call it corporate welfare.

8. thurrocksgonedownhill   March 13, 2018 at 7:38 am

Don’t beleive them statistics CTB. Fraud is rife and I know many rely on the fact that they know they can get away with it.
    Like corporate welfare, there’s also lots of loop holes Vikki will use like kids for cash, who’s the father and no he don’t live with me to name a few.
    I know one example that has cost us a fortune.

9. Catching the Bus   March 13, 2018 at 3:13 pm

My god you really are a stereotypical right wing nut.
    Do you read the Sun or Daily Mail by any chance.

10. Catching the Bus   March 13, 2018 at 5:22 pm

It seems strange that you are so tough on a benefit claiment who screws the system but so leanent on corporate welfare when the like a Buffeett and Bazos screw the system for even more.

11. thurrocksgonedownhill   March 13, 2018 at 7:05 pm

catching the bus – I bet you buy from Amazon, own a mobile phone, buy from a supermaket and have a bank account, do you not.
    Your a hypocrite of the first order, banging on about banks etc when you are supporting them.
    I think you must be a very bitter & twisted man who failed to take any opportunities in life and no doubt was a union supporter…

12. thurrocksgonedownhill   March 13, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Come on CTB…do tell us what you have from my list above…Hypocrite.

13. Catching the Bus   March 13, 2018 at 10:32 pm

I also go to the shit but it doesen’t mean I like it.

Mister Private sector
    but at you
    You used the former Public Water Public NHS and Public Education
    does that make you the same as me.

14. Catching the Bus   March 13, 2018 at 10:50 pm

As you know it was working in the banks that made me pissed off
    I was a Capitalist once.

I seen all the rigging manipulation and fiddles on the US stock Market. you lose faith in the system when you see it up close.

I am a socialist in as much as I want the Education and Health Public.
    But a butchers and power station I want Capitalist.

But because I criticise the profiteering in it you say I am a hypocrite
    No I am concerned.