Mr Perrin’s Blog: “No council meetings, no pay!”

Mr. Perrin’s blog: “A Word in Your Ear”

A few weeks ago I wrote an article titled “Should Councillors be on Zero Hours Contracts?” I wrote the article because I noted that it was a rare occurrence, if ever, that all 49 Councillors were present at “Full Council” meetings,. I also noted that at meetings of committees I attended, such as “Overview and Scrutiny” , all too often there were “apologies” from absentee Councillors.

I ask the question again because the absenteeism has become “wholesale”, i.e. meetings are just arbitrarily cancelled, the main reason being “insufficient business”.
however the reason for the cancellation of the September meeting of Full Council appears to be a concern that it would prevent councillors involvement with National Party Conferences. I presume that to mean if they were at a Council Meeting they would be unable to watch Conference proceedings on TV or whatever.

I would point out that most Party Conference business is over and done with long before most Council Meetings start at 7 p.m.

Record of meetings of Full Council 2018:-

31st January Held
28th February Held
21st March Cancelled
25th April No meeting due to Local elections (Purdah)
23rd May Held Annual Full Council but largely ceremonial
27th June Held
25th July Held
29th August No meeting {Summer break}
26th September Cancelled
31st October Scheduled
28th November Scheduled
26th December No meeting (Christmas break}

In addition there were the following number of cancellations of Committee Meetings:-
9: reason given “insufficient business”
7: no reason given
1: reason given Local Elections (Purdah)

So far this year a total of 21 meetings have been cancelled, most of them because of “insufficient business”. If Councillors had been on Zero hours contracts they would not have been paid.

I do not wish to tar all Councillors with the same brush, but there are some who shirk their responsibilities and do the absolute minimum, just enough to ensure they qualify for their cash allowance.

Unfortunately the current perception is that Councillors will seek any excuse to cancel meetings and minimize the amount of time they spend on Council business.

INSUFFICIENT BUSINESS! NO PAY!

8 Responses to "Mr Perrin’s Blog: “No council meetings, no pay!”"

1. thurrocksgonedownhill   September 27, 2018 at 5:48 pm

Lets get this transparency ball rolling and start naming the shirkers.

I don’t see why I should pay for them to avoid what they were voted in to do.

Lets start a ‘Vote the dossers out’ campaign and clean up this lazy corrupt council.

2. Catching the Bus   September 27, 2018 at 10:44 pm

They do have business the fact why they set up an anti capitalist nvestors event with 40 of there “Delboy” croneys. But didnt open it up to the free market.

I say Benefit sanction them. Like they do to the poor.

3. Catching the Bus   September 27, 2018 at 10:55 pm

I agree with TGDH.

They are a very corrupt council.. The Derek Trotter of councils.

That secret meeting is bothering me big time.

As for “no business” does this mean we can make cuts to the council counsellors?

Why not go to a pay per peformance. Mind you the counsellors might want to put that idea in the bin, though I don’t know when that bin will be empted next. 🙂

4. thurrocksgonedownhill   September 28, 2018 at 4:23 am

I’m not on facebook and stuff but if people care enough, start the ‘Get The Dossers Out’ campaign going and lets just see how many give a dam.

If it gets support we’ll know, if i don’t then, don’t wine about it.

5. Catching the Bus   September 28, 2018 at 11:55 am

I could pick holes in what you just poasted on a number of fronts.

Votes for a different lot will change it.

6. thurrocksgonedownhill   September 28, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Pick away CTB

7. Catching the Bus   September 28, 2018 at 4:58 pm

If you aint going to start a group. First line.

But then say If I don’t leter on. It Confuses the fishfinger
    sandwich out of my limited
    intelligence.

I Know I have just feed you a line there about my limited
    intelligence. So expect some smart arse comment on that but what the hell.

8. thurrocksgonedownhill   September 29, 2018 at 10:56 am

CTB my friend…please get help as soon as possible. I don’t want to lose your vexatious ineligible comments.

I think Vicky has got to you.