By Local Democracy Reporter
Steve Shaw

THE number of people to have unexpectedly died while being users of Thurrock’s mental health service has almost doubled in 12 months.

The figure, which is believed to be driven by suicides, was revealed in a report on the borough’s mental health and emergency care programme that was discussed during a Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting on Thursday.

Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 15.35.16

The report states that in 2017 the service hoped to see a 10 percent reduction in unexpected deaths from 53 the previous year but instead it jumped to 81.

Mark Tebbs, director of commissioning at Thurrock CCG, said: “There is an ambition to see all suicides as preventable. We need to be doing more on this and we are looking at what other areas have done to move toward a zero-suicide ambition.

“There is a lot of stigma around this so it is not easy and there is no one agency that can make an impact. It is about coming together and tackling it together.”

A spokesperson for the Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust, which oversees the service, said: “The NHS national framework for serious incidents from 2015 defines an unexpected death serious incident as a suicide or self-inflicted death or a homicide.

“Tragically suicide still affects and takes far too many lives. The Trust’s suicide prevention strategy states that our aspiration as an organisation is to achieve zero suicides for those who use services.

“We are taking action to improve systems and environments to reduce the risk; including rolling out risk assessment and suicide prevention training for all staff.

“We regularly review our serious incidents and share any learning from them across the organisation; our involvement in suicide prevention work across Essex with partner organisations also provides us with an opportunity to learn from others.

“We are also working in partnership with the Samaritans to provide emotional support for all our patients who need it. Once our patient agrees to be contacted by the Samaritans they will proactively call the patient at a time convenient for them.

“Sometimes people experiencing emotional distress can experience feelings of isolation and low self-worth, and may not access services. This partnership with the Samaritans increases the likelihood that the person accesses emotional support when it is needed.”

35 Responses to "Travesty: Number who have unexpectedly died while being users of Thurrock’s mental health service almost doubled in 12 months."

1. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 13, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Suicide is a dreadful thing, I know, I had a cousin that did just that and a very good friend. CSA was a driving force in my friends case.
    Genuine mental illness is something we need to support much more than we do. But we do need to be aware of the freeloading parasites who claim M I just to get benefits.

2. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 13, 2018 at 5:31 pm

“Maybe we could see gender statistics and if known the reasons behind ones drastic measures. I think that would give us a far better insight and understanding to the problem.”

You could google that or FOI ffor the Thurrock local numbers.

3. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 13, 2018 at 6:32 pm

With 1 Million Unemployed
    8.7 Million Economically Inactive. Colleges fees for Sttudents at £2000 plus University fees of £9300 Where as housing prices were 4 times income years ago they are now 10 times income and rising.
    Low paid jobs on short period contracts or Zero Hour Contracts.
    (37 per cent) were in employment but still on Universal credit benefit.
    So on…..

Life is increasingly getting worse for larger sections of society while fewer and fewer people benefit.
    I’ve had quite a few old people tell me they wouldn’t of wanted to grow up these days and would not a gone to university if they did.
    It is getting to where life aint worth living for an increasing part of society
    I have even had thoughts of this. But it is all by design.

If we were to go back to Capitalism rather than Neoliberalism where we go to Wealth Creation instead of wealth extraction. It would lift a large part of those people out of poverty.

4. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm

CTB I am sorry to hear you suffered dark thoughts.

You omit to mention relationship breakdown, Fathers disallowed contact with their children, drink & drugs, gambling, and no doubt many more beside. Some self inflicted, some not. Either way not a good place to be.

We do however need to get the 8.7 economically inactive back in work along with the 1 million unemployed.
    Just think if we had closed our borders long ago we would have zero unemployment and at less 60/70% of the inactive in work….wow. there’s a thought.

5. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 13, 2018 at 9:01 pm

“CTB I am sorry to hear you suffered dark thoughts.”

I have done for 20 years since the eye thing in 1997 but survived. Working at the Chicago Merchantile Exchange was a key step that got me on my feet.

“You omit to mention..”
    I did say. So on.. Because to cover every aspect would be a very long post indeed to give it justice.

I disagree. it was by design. The zero hours low skilled short term. erosion of the working conditions. This will increase with Brexit as they can scrap Human rights and working conditions.
    It is noeliberalism with the gloves off.
    This will push the 10 Million growing population into even worser conditions.

We once had dub the golden age of Capitalism in this country with growth rates of 5% and the Prime Minister saying you’ve never had it so good.
    Now we have Neoliberalism stagnet growth rates. Manufacturing shipped off in the 80’s to China by Maggie and Services to India by Blair and an exploitative economic system that does not work for most people in the US and UK.
    One section of society. the Property owning plus 60’s who gain more from Wealth than Income and the young who really have little chance.
    Apart from a Lottery ticket or X factor.

WIth the Economically inactive look at the US which is leading its been rising for decades. Ever since George W Bush came to power.
    I am sure this trend wil follow here soon.
    It helps mask the true unemployment numbers (a trick Maggie did with sticking Unemployed people on disability and pension benefits) to lower the published number. but the effects on the economy in lost GDP growth and so on… is incalculable.

What scares the hell out of me is Universal credit with 37% in work but people are still having to pay them benefits because they cannot earn enough in wage to support themselves.
    We’ve invented the working poor. Or is it the workhouse.

EIther way it doesn’t pay to be young these days.
    Mental Health and Suicide rates will no doubt rise.

None of this needs to happen if we scrapped Neoliberalism and went to capitalism.
    But we won’t because a small number of people benefit from Neoliberalism very nicely and want to make the situation a hell of a lot worse.
    Opportunity is being suckd out of the business community and life in general.
    You only have to look at business survival rates under neoliberalism.
    Even the SP500 index changes more quickly now than any time in history due to it.

That bus is getting fucking louder.

6. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 14, 2018 at 8:17 am

CTB
    I always enjoy your posts. Even though we don’t always agree you are informative.
    Universal credit is a disgrace. I have no problem with genuine people on benefits of any kind, it’s the spongers I detest.
    The whole system needs a great overhaul.A firm but fair system, but guess what, it won’t happen because we British are to apathetic.

7. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 14, 2018 at 4:17 pm

We British are to apathetic?
    As for apathy. Is it any different throughout history?

1/3rd of Americans Supported the American Revolution.1/3 didn’t give a shit and 1/3 were Loyalist. and only 3% those in favour fought in it.
    Source John Adams. 2nd President of the United States.

I would ask Trump for the numbers but he and
    Hillary would say 99% were in ffavour and 107% fought in it and so did they.
    But thats history for you.
    And our glorious politicians.

I don’t want to give you ammunition but isn’t it strange that more people were in favour of Brexit at 52% than the 33% of americans in favour of the American Revolution.
    I dont know what to make on that stat on many levels.

But I do note that JDP and many Americans after it all claim they were in favour of it after the fact when they were not. I just don’t like the spin and lie.

Thats why I won’t vote for JDP.

8. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 14, 2018 at 4:39 pm

“One thing we will always agree on is we are being stitched up at every opportunity by the few.”

It’s happened under all economic systems and political ideologies throughout history for exactly the same reason.

A small number game the system to themselves thus exclude ever increasing numbers from the system then the masses rebel.
    The Currant system is called Economic neoliberalism.

9. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 14, 2018 at 6:39 pm

thurrocksgonedownhill – “I have no problem with genuine people on benefits of any kind, it’s the spongers I detest.” God, you’re a two-faced hypocrite! You keep having a go at me for being on benefits despite having proven myself to be a genuine claimant by passing every benefit assessment I’ve had to be put through. You can’t feign compassion, concern for the disadvantaged and Humanity now, given the crap you’ve said about me in the past.

10. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 14, 2018 at 7:09 pm

Cookie,
    The benefit system is abused beyond belief, you know that as well as me.I wasn’t having a go at you for all your issues which you never disclose.
    I merely said, genuine claimants, not a problem, spongers and parasites, big problem.
    Not hypocritical, just fact. If you use your benefits to live as they are meant, no problem. You waste it on gambling, drugs, drink, fags or whatever, big problem.

11. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 14, 2018 at 8:35 pm

thurrocksgonedownhill – “I wasn’t having a go at you for all your issues which you never disclose.” You are always having a go at me for being on benefits and I have mentioned, on more than one occasion what my difficulties are so you’re talking rubbish…yet again. You have also implied, on more than one occasion, that, because I’m on benefits, I haven’t paid into the system that I now have to rely on for my income despite the fact that I have mentioned, on more than one occasion, that I have had paid employment in the past and paid into the system. I could go on but you don’t listen.

I have also said that there are people who abuse the system but, if you look at the government’s own statistics, the amount of fraud is 0.7% of all claims are the result of fraud. Yet you have, on numerous occasions, implied that fraudulent claims are rife despite having been given the exact figure. There is actually more money in benefit payments left unclaimed because 1) claimants aren’t told what they could actually claim for and 2) claimants don’t ask for other things they may be entitled to because of the attitudes of people like yourself who look down on claimants regardless of their circumstances and have inflated the problem of fraudulent claims far beyond the true picture.

Yes, you’re a hypocrite because you’ve had a go at me for claiming benefits yet you now feign concern for people on benefits. I, personally, agree that spending money on gambling, drugs, smoking and alcohol is a waste of money (because I don’t partake of any of those things). That said, as you don’t know what drove a person to those things, you cannot say that it is a waste to those people because, in the case of drugs and alcohol at least, those things are a form of self-medication for people who either have undiagnosed mental health issues or have mental health issues that, for some reason, hasn’t responded to prescribed medications and/or talking therapies. Addiction is a mental health issue that needs to be understood rather than stigmatised and it is not always clear in some cases whether the addiction came first or whether it was a life choice to take something that then triggers the addiction. As I have no addiction issues myself, I only have knowledge from my volunteer work with people with mental health issues to fall back on in this area but that is enough to be expert enough to give an informed opinion.

The fact that you use “or whatever” means that you’re open to adding any number of things that you would consider a waste of money for people on benefits to spend money on which leaves a massive amount of leeway for you to have a go at people if you decide you don’t like what they purchase with the paltry amount they receive on benefits. Of course, you like that amount of leeway because you can have a greater amount of people to slag off and demonise to back up your views on benefit claimants.

Veni, vidi, iterum calce asinus tuus!

12. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 14, 2018 at 8:48 pm

“The benefit system is abused beyond belief, you know that as well as me.”

I ain’t going to let you get away with that one.
    Thats the stereotypical narrative now for the right wing.
    Now for some REAL FACT.
    Benefit Fraud rate less than 1.1%.

In fact it was at 0.8% but the government changed the formular.
    So it included its
    own overpayments in the total. government doing fraud?

If there was fraud as you say the Right wing Conservatives would of lock the mall up and thrown away the key long ago no one can claim the conservatives are soft on such an issue. They can’t find it.
    The truth is we have a MASSIVE economic problem in society and it is growing.

I’ve never seen you post this
    “The corporate tax system is abused beyond belief, you know that as well as me.”
    But yet that is a larger problem but it won’t be tacalled because of ideology.

There is one set of rules for one bunch of society and another for another. and the 1% say to the rest after the crash “look at them its all there fault”

13. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 15, 2018 at 1:25 am

Catching the Bus – Thanks for the updated benefit fraud figures!

14. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 8:40 am

You know its bad when they add there own overpayments which account for 30% of fraud. To make the figure look bigger.

They are talking about dropping that figure because some are bringing up that the government itself are causing the fraud and it looks bad for them.

“Disabled people are more likely to be sanctioned then those on Jobseekers Allowance, with more than a million benefits sanctions being imposed on disabled people since 2010”

So now the disabled people in the tital of this article are being treated worse than unemployed people.

15. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 15, 2018 at 9:38 am

Catching the Bus – What do you expect when certain people have such negative views of people with disabilities?

16. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 15, 2018 at 10:45 am

If we get the parasites off of benefits and allocate that to the real disabled the system it would be so much fairer for the genuine.
    But then the disabled system also needs overhauling. Starting with mobility allowance, what a racket that is.
    When you got people gambling their benefits with the believe they are entitled to it, one has to question them and the system. Bring in vouchers I say!

17. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 12:29 pm

Valen (Myles) Cook I see what you finally mean. I’ve tried. It’s ideology with him.
    One rule for the 1% another for the serfs.

18. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 12:48 pm

“But then the disabled system also needs overhauling.”

WTF. You ain’t reading the news are you.
    It just has been hasnt it with PIP and Universal credit. another asumption from you.

They even cut the training schemes to get them off benefits. Have you got any idea of how distructive this is for there life chances and missed GDP.

19. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 15, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Answer me this guys, a straight yes or no will suffice.

Do you think the mobility scheme works well and is administered in a fair and correct way?

20. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 5:55 pm

I don’t have the correct data for all the aspects to give you an answer.
    and I aint going to “think” because you might come to an assumption doing that.

I smel some story coming.
    I just hope it aint got an assumption

21. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 15, 2018 at 7:31 pm

Maybe you can get some data and come back to me then. I so look forward to that.

The difference between you and me is you work from manipulated data and sadly believe it. I work from facts gathered on the front line, which my friend are far more accurate.

You try and justify your vexatious information by believing that I have no experience in the issues we debate. Trust me, I bet we have made contact before. I REALLY know whats going on as I am on the front line, you on the other hand just buy in to the politics you so despise.

22. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 8:22 pm

People could fire the same at you;. WIth that reply.

You would give a licence to any fascist who would love the above statement. They could use that for no end of evil.

23. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 15, 2018 at 9:00 pm

I truly think you need help CTB.

Nothing fascist about that whatsoever. Facts my friend, facts.

24. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 9:51 pm

Apart from your facts are unbacked by anyone apart from your good self.

25. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 15, 2018 at 10:36 pm

No my facts are simply not the same as your spin.

Mine are front line, see for yourself. Yours are Gov spin that quite surprisingly you believe.

26. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 10:40 pm

“Mine are front line, see for yourself.”

How can I see for myself?
    wheres the evidence.

27. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 15, 2018 at 10:40 pm

One thing I think we do agree on is we are being shafted by whoever is in power.

AND don’t let them Bankers stress you out my friend….Oh, do you still have your Bank account????

28. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 15, 2018 at 11:12 pm

“Your an intelligent man CTB. I am surprised you can’t see what is really happening to us all.”

No I am not intelligent I have two level 2 qualifications you know that. Thats why I use evidence.
    It’s fucking hard with no evidence because its all fucking fake ain’t it. Unless you think not.

“One thing I think we do agree on is we are being shafted by whoever is in power”
    This is spot on. Best post of the day.

I give you credit your predictble.
    Yes I do from a bank that didnt receive bailout money. Atleast I think.
    It’s just a pitty you give one set of rules to Bankers and another set to another set of society. I say Jail bankers who caused the crash and the 0.8% benefit fraudsters. I’ve posted about. But you just cannot can you.
    Its hypocracy

29. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 16, 2018 at 4:54 pm

thurrocksgonedownhill (reply to comment posted November 15, 2018 at 10:45 am) – You didn’t try to have a go at me, personally, for being on benefits that time. Well done you! (accompanying pat on the head)

All you need to do now is apologise for calling me “Cookie” (which is very playground-like of you) and we can go about ignoring each other in the future. How about that?

30. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 16, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Catching the Bus (reply to comment posted November 15, 2018 at 12:29 pm) – It’s best to just ignore people like that because they never learn.

31. Catching the Bus (Ant Auger)   November 16, 2018 at 6:37 pm

I cannot to be honest I seewhats going on.
    I see where this leads to in history.

No sod. unless a few lunatics at the top benefit and even they don’t towards the end.
    Its just Hitler sitting in the Bunker in Berlin IN May 1945. Blaming the German people for it all. Then blowing up the infrastructure sayng the german people don’t deserve to live after the war.

32. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 17, 2018 at 12:29 am

Catching the Bus – Oh I’m sure that there are people out there who don’t care about history repeating itself because they don’t take the time to learn a bit of history so they can’t recognise the signs. There are people who say “Thurrock’s gone downhill” or, perhaps, “the entire UK’s gone downhill” and they look for any group that doesn’t include them to scapegoat – immigrants, benefit claimants, the EU – but don’t realise that they are the biggest part of the problem themselves because their attitudes towards others is toxic.

I wouldn’t ever suggest that you don’t post your comments to try to educate people but there are some people out there who don’t listen, won’t change their toxic minds about anything that challenges their perverted worldview and, more importantly, only write comments to provoke negative feelings in the person they are aimed at. Those people just need to be ignored rather than engaged with.

33. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 17, 2018 at 5:29 am

Catching the Bus – Quick edit: I accidentally hit the ‘s’ key on the word “attitude” on the final line of the first paragraph so the line reads wrongly from a grammatical perspective. The line “because their attitudes towards others is toxic” should read “because their ATTITUDE towards others is toxic” (emphasis added).

34. thurrocksgonedownhill   November 17, 2018 at 8:34 pm

You hypocrite Cookie.

But a good laugh.

35. Valen (Myles) Cook   November 18, 2018 at 1:06 am

thurrocksgonedownswill – “You hypocrite Cookie.” – How am I a hypocrite? You always make statements and then refuse to give evidence for your view.

“But a good laugh.” – I am quite a wit, aren’t I?

Hey, I just noticed that you didn’t make a mistake in your comment! Wow, two in a row that I’ve read across two news items. Who’s doing your typing now? ‘Cause it sure isn’t you. Well done for getting help. (patronising pat on the head)

Veni, vidi, iterum calce asinus tuus, thurrocksgonedownswill!