HOSPITAL staff have been recognised by their peers after being announced as finalists in their Trust’s second annual awards ceremony, the Shine Awards.
Staff from Basildon, Broomfield and Southend hospitals, and their satellite sites, have been shortlisted across nine categories for their continuing achievements for patients at Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust, in the hospital’s second Shine Awards.
The awards showcase how hardworking staff, through their innovation and good practice, have continually helped enhance or improve patient care.
There were 350 nominations in total, which were whittled down to just 27 by a panel of judges, which also included patients.
One of those on the panel was Hannah Coffey, Acting Chief Executive, who said: “This is my first Shine Awards, and it has been inspiring to read all the nominations. It is wonderful to see all the brilliant things our staff do every day, to help give the best care and improve the lives of our patients.
“These awards are important, as they shine a light on the amazing work that our staff do across all areas of the Trust, and everyone should be so proud of their great achievements.”
The Shine Awards are sponsored by Maldon Building Services, Laser Electrical and Cloud 21 and award categories include Outstanding Achievement Team Award, Outstanding Achievement Individual Award, Leadership Award, Rising Star Award, Partnership Award, Making a Difference Award and Spotlight Award. There are also two new categories, the Efficiency and Innovation Award and Equity and Patient Involvement Award.
This is the second year of the Shine Awards, with last year’s ceremony taking place virtually online. It’s hoped that this year’s awards will take place in person, with the winners set to be announced at Orsett Hall in November.
And the Shine Award finalists are…
Outstanding achievement award (team)
- Sunflower Continuity Midwifery Team at Broomfield Hospital
- Living Well with Cancer Team at Broomfield Hospital
- Orsett Ward (Respiratory) at Basildon Hospital
Outstanding achievement award (individual)
- Gemma Chapman, CTC Theatre Tray Room Assistant
- Rob Coenye, Clinical Coding Team Leader
- Sumera Ali Zain, Staff Nurse
Leadership award (individual)
- Judy Harper-Bright, Senior Sister
- Jade Matthews, Lead Nurse
- Gareth Smith, Audiology Manager
Rising star award (individual)
- Shanty Matthew, Staff Nurse
- Stephanie Matthews, ST1 Doctor
- May York, Recruitment Advisor
Partnership award (team or individual)
- Admiral/Dementia & Delirium CNS Team
- Kelley Elle Carvalho, Patient Experience Officer
- Covid Medicines Delivery Unit
Making a difference award (team or individual)
- Critical Care Outreach Team at Basildon Hospital
- Deborah Johnson, Volunteer Administrator
- Abha Kalra, Junior Sister
Spotlight award (team or individual)
- Fernando Moro Azuela, Associate Dean
- Bina Gurung, Domestics Assistant
- Jesudass Johnselvan, Theatre Manager
Efficiency and innovation award (individual)
- Hannah Crumpton, Senior Physiotherapist
- Blossom Eatherton, Recruitment Specialist
- Scott Lavender, Patient Experience Officer
Equity and patient involvement award (team or individual)
- Florence Nightingale Ward at Basildon Hospital
- Adult Speech and Language Therapy at Basildon Hospital
- Pulmonary Rehab Team at Southend Hospital