Thursday, December 7, 2023

Thurrock 1 v 4 Havant and Waterlooville

Although the score line looks bad for Thurrock it does not represent the differences between the two sides. Two injury time goals from Havant whilst Thurrock were chasing the equaliser made the result look easier than it was.

The Hawks started the game very positive and Thurrock were put under constant pressure from the start. Havant had the ball in the Thurrock net after only two minutes but it was ruled out for offside.

Thurrock kept their shape and repelled the Hawks advances and in the 13th minute they went in front. David Bryant chased a through ball that looked lost but he managed to keep the ball in play on the far left flank, his long cross found Matt Bodkin on the opposite wing, he turned his defender before crossing the ball into the centre where Bryant had raced into and he beat two defenders to head home from close range.

Havant continued to have the greater possession and chances, and on 36th minute the were awarded a free kick on the right just yards from the box, it looked at first that the referee had given the hand ball for the home side but awarded it to the away side for pushing. The flighted free kick found Mustafa Tiryaki unmarked and he headed home the equaliser.

HT 1-1

The pattern of play changed little after the break with the Hawks pushing on for a winner. Thurrock’s game was just not flowing today and with only one win in the last 5 games and the goals drying up it was hard to see where any would come from.

On 56th minutes Mustafa Tiryaki bagged his second of the day, he broke away down the right flank before cutting inside and let fly a fierce shot from just inside the 18 yard area that left keeper Joe Woolley stranded.

Havant dropped deeper after that goal which allowed Thurrock to push forward more and with some tactical subs from manager Hakan Hayrettin Thurrock mounted a challenge to seek the equaliser.

Time was running out and when the referee announced 5 minutes added time Thurrock’s surge forward left huge gaps at the back and they were caught out twice.

First in the 92nd minute when Wes Fogden drove home number three from about 10 yards out when the attackers outnumbered the defender 2/1 and then Steven Walker sealed the victory with number four, with only seconds remaining Kenny Clarke slid along the ground on his chest to foil the last man Fogden and received a yellow card for his efforts and Walker directed his free kick wide of Woolley and safely into the net.

Thurrrock: Joe Woolley, Phil Anderson, Ryan Andrews (Leslie Thompson 75), Matt Paine (Matt Judge 83), Kenny Clark, Paul Olima, Matt Bodkin, Leon Lalite, Leon McKenzie, David Bryant, Fola Orilonishe,

Subs Not Used: Reiss Gilbey, Chris Saunders, James Libby

Havant & Waterlooville : Aaron Howe, Paul Hinshelwood, Jon McDonald, Ryan Woodford, Gary MacDonald, Joe Tabiri, Wes Fogden, Steven Walker, Manny Williams, Mustafa Tiryaki, Robbie Martin,

Subs : Ivan Forbes, Craig Robson, Steven Hutchins, Luke Nightingale, Nathan Ashmore.

Previous article
Next article


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles