Monday, May 20, 2024

Bishop’s Stortford 0 v 0 Thurrock

Bill Robinson reports from Woodside Park………

Thurrock continued to make heavy going of their play off place ambitions with another goalless draw and perhaps today their lack of ability in finishing has finished their hopes of a top five place.

Once again Thurrock dominated the game throughout the whole ninety minutes and were by far the better side but failing to finish off the job has cost them valuable points.

But it was Stortford that had the first chances of the game with two efforts in the opening quarter of an hour. First it was Danny Morgan and then Mitch Hahn, both could have scored if their efforts had been on target.

Thurrock came close from one of their nine first half corners, the cross came in from the right and keeper Nicky Morgan came out to collect only to drop the ball at the feet of Kenny Clark who saw his shot cleared off the line by Ted Llewellyn.

The next chances fell to David Bryant first on 24 minutes, again from a corner when the ball eventually came wide to Bryant his effort was well saved by the keeper. David then had another chance on 36 minutes after being put through by Leon Lalite he had to stretch and only managed a toe poked effort but again the keeper foiled him.

At the start of the second period Thurrock continued to have the greater possession and spent most of the time camped out in the Stortford half. It was just after the hour that we saw Thurrock’s best chance, a through ball from Lalite to McKenzie on the edge of the box McKenzie turned his marker and managed to fire of a shot that went just millimetres over.

On 65 minutes Paul Olima came on to replace Reiss Gilbey who had been struggling with an injury picked up in the first half, this signalled Thurrock’s change in formation and a greater determination to push more men forward looking for a must win goal.

Stortford’s breaks always looked dangerous and when Danny Morgan broke away and clear on 68 minutes with only the advancing Joe Woolley to beat he side footed his shot wide of the post, a lucky escape for the Fleet.

With only five minutes on the clock time was running out for Thurrock, another move started with the ball out wide on the left as the ball was played inside to David Bryant, he twisted and weaved before passing to Leon McKenzie just inside the penalty area, Leon turned and sent in a curving shot that fell on the top of the net.

With four minutes of added time already played the final chance again fell to McKenzie, this time a long through ball out of defence by Leon Lalite which caught out McKenzie’s marker Matt Jones, as Leon raced towards goal his first touch was so heavy that the ball shot out of touch for a goal kick.

When the final whistle went it was the home side that were relieved with winning the point and left Thurrock to rue those missed opportunities.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles