Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Man jailed after two vicious assaults at East Tilbury railway station

A 20-year-old man who, in one night, carried out two separate assaults on passengers at East Tilbury rail station will serve 10 months in a young offenders’ institute following an investigation by British Transport Police (BTP).

Adam Price Jnr, of Lodge Lane, Grays was at East Tilbury station on Friday, 11 March 2011 when he first assaulted a man on platform one at around 10.20pm.

The court heard how the victim, from Tilbury, had left the train and was making his way out of the station when he was approached by Price who bumped into him and shoved him with his elbow.

The 17-year-old victim apologised expecting Price to reciprocate, but instead Price turned and punched him in the face. The victim fled the station fearing for his safety and later attended hospital for treatment to bruising and swelling to his eye, before reporting the incident to police.

Price remained at the station following the first incident and shortly after, around 10.30pm, began to shout across from platform one at two men standing on the platform opposite. He made threats towards them before jumping onto the tracks and crossing over to platform to in order to approach the second victim.

He climbed onto platform two and squared up to the 24-year-old man from Tilbury, asking him to hand over his belongings. The victim refused and, feeling threatened, attempted to walk away from Price.

Suddenly Price struck the victim from behind across the right side of his head. The man was uninjured and didn’t have any of his possessions stolen, and was able to leave the station in order to report the incident to police.

Detective Constable Michael Bute said: “Thankfully neither of the victims were seriously injured, but were understandably left extremely shaken by Price’s threatening and intimidating behaviour.

“Both incidents were despicable, unprovoked attacks on passengers who were simply minding their own business – thankfully however they are rare on the rail network.

“Both incidents were captured on CCTV and forensic evidence gathered by BTP meant we were able to track down, arrest and bring this offender to justice.”

Price pleaded guilty to common assault and actual bodily harm at Basildon Crown Court on 31 October 2011. He was sentenced to two months and eight months respectively and will serve his sentence in a young offenders’ institute.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles