WITH Christmas just days away as well as the food, presents and family to consider follow the Safer Thurrock Partnership top 12 tips to ensure you enjoy the festivities safely and remain crime free:
1) Lock all your windows and doors – as well as those in sheds and garages and don’t forget the car.
2) Ensure your home is well lit. Consider using a timer switch for lights to go on in the hours of darkness.
3) Don’t tempt burglars by leaving presents on display – either where they can be seen under the tree or in the car.
4) Don’t store expensive presents in unsecured sheds or garages.
5) Check and set your house alarm.
6) Don’t advertise the things you have bought or received – dispose of packaging and wrapping, don’t leave it outside on display.
7) Take note of the serial number of new goods.
8) Use a UV pen to postcode and door number your new items and gifts.
9) Don’t leave gifts in your car. This includes returning to your car while shopping to dropping off one load before continuing buying gifts.
10) Beware of pickpockets in busy areas – keep valuables safe in a bag or secure pocket.
11Always use a licensed taxi.
12) Don’t walk home alone late at night, plan your journey in advance and tell friends and family where you are.
Thurrock Council Portfolio Holder for Community, Culture and Leisure Councillor Lynn Worrall said: “We want everyone to have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy the festivities and by following these simple, common sense tips we hope to help everyone do so in a safe and crime free way.”
For more information about how to stay safe and secure visit www.shapingthurrock.org.uk/safer/