Saturday, October 1, 2022

Brothers jailed after stabbing of ticket inspector

A 17-year-old who stabbed a ticket inspector on a train in East Tilbury has been jailed for four years.

Brothers Robert Culley, (pictured far right) 17 and Charles Culley, (pictured right) 19, both of Darwin Road, Tilbury, were sentenced at Basildon Crown Court on Monday, 16 April.

Following an investigation by British Transport Police (BTP), Robert Culley, who had earlier pleaded guilty to wounding and possession of a bladed article, received four year and two year detention orders, to run concurrently.

His brother, Charles Culley, who had pleaded guilty to common assault, received a four-month detention and training order.

The court heard how the brothers boarded the 8.20pm Southend Central to Fenchurch Street c2c service on Friday, 16 December without tickets and were approached by uniformed revenue protection staff.

As they were travelling without tickets, inspectors told the pair to leave the service at East Tilbury, the next stop.

Upon the train’s arrival at East Tilbury, an altercation ensued, with one inspector being punched in the face and Robert Culley stabbing the other under one of his arms using a four inch knife.

The Culley brothers immediately fled the scene and the wounded inspector was taken to Basildon University Hospital, where he received stitches before later being discharged.

BTP detectives immediately seized CCTV from the station and circulated images of the brothers in the media the next day, leading to their swift naming and arresting on Sunday, 18 December.

Both brothers responded no comment when interviewed and were charged and remanded in custody.

On pleading guilty in March at Basildon Crown Court, Charles was released on conditional bail until sentencing, whilst Robert was remanded.

Detective Constable David Bishop, BTP’s investigating officer, said: “Attacks of this nature on rail staff are rare, but we take them all extremely seriously.

“This was an appalling and disgraceful attack on two men who was simply doing their job and who had quite rightly asked the brothers to leave the train.

“I’d like to pass my thanks to the media for helping us publicise our appeal so swiftly, and, crucially, pay tribute to the many members of the public who called with information, allowing us to quickly identify and arrest the Culleys.”

c2c Managing Director Julian Drury said: “This was an isolated and unprovoked attack on our staff, who were doing their duty making sure the railway is safe for customers, and we are pleased to see those responsible brought to justice.

“These convictions were made possible by the high standard of security at our stations including full CCTV, and by the outstanding professionalism of the British Transport Police, for which we are very grateful.

“Since the incident we have introduced a range of extra measures to make the railway even safer for our customers and staff including new teams of enforcement officers travelling on daytime and late night trains along the c2c route. We are absolutely determined to make sure the railway is welcoming and safe for all.”


  1. 4 years for carrying an offensive weapon (bladed), “wounding” surely this sentence is incorrect, he stabbed the inspector under the arm which coudl have severed a major artery or even worse, when will these judges learn that you have to have stiffer sentencing to act a deterent (if modern day jails are realy a deterent), so much for the Governments (and past Governments) get tough on knife crime.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles