Sunday, September 25, 2022

Rugby: Stanford do double over Thames

Thames 5 v 20 Stanford

Stanford do double over Thames

THIS local derby has seen it all in the past, great rugby, tight games and the odd fracas so the second meeting this season between these two sides could go either way and would have lots of talking points.

The first half was a mixture of good pressure by both sides, passing errors by Stanford, two missed penalty kicks by Stanford. The scrums were well contested, the lineouts had been planned by Stanford and their homework paid off, lots of good running rugby countered by awesome tackling by both sides. However the head line of the first half was made by Thames when they crossed the Stanford try line after 9 minutes of play. A well worked try came after lots of early pressure by Thames but as the two sides cancelled each other out the first half closed out with just 5 points on the board in favour of the home side, however Stanford were become the more dominant side.

The 2nd half started with Stanford pressuring Thames which paid off with an excellent drop goal by Calum Reid to put the first three points on the board for Stanford. Stanford was making the better of the plays and it didn’t take long before the Stanford backs were running the ball into the gaps. Liam Morley powered and spun his way through to the Thames line in a well worked try. Reid had no trouble adding the extra points.

Thames were spending more time in their own half defending but when they did venture into the Stanford half they always looked dangerous but the Stanford defence stood firm. Stanford was strong in the mauls and just on 30 minutes of the 2nd half they set up a good rolling maul. As the ball broke clear it was held just long enough for a charging Sam Herbert to dart in and score the 2nd try for Stanford.

The moves were coming thick and fast but the finishing touch was letting Stanford down. After several attempts Stanford managed to move the ball wide and Matthew Greenhill crossed the line to close the game out with a winning score 20 – 5.

Jack Egar had played a strong game at 2nd row, pounding his way through tackles, adding his strength to the rucks and mauls, earning a well-deserved Man of the Match for Stanford.


Stanford Sirens (41) – Medway Ladies (7) home win league double header

After a while of discussing how this fixture would be fulfilled, it was decided that a "double header" would be played at The Rec; Each half would carry a separate score line.

Although the conditions were bleak, the rugby was not with Stephanie Mcintosh taking a wide line and out sprinting her opposite winger to start the proceedings in the best way possible. Amber Patience added the conversion 7-0

The spectators barely had time to sip their hot chocolates as Sarah Bebbington ploughed through midfield to double the score. Again Patience was good with the extras 14-0

Medway finally found their feet and started to disrupt the Sirens ruck game, that’s when Captain Debbie Walshe lead from the front and took the fight back around the break down. Danielle Morley and Natalie Ward nicked a lot of possession.

One such instance saw the ball pinged out to Kirsty Moore, to Katrina Richardson and once more to Mcintosh who shifted a gear and crossed for her second.

The visitors started kicking more and were awarded with some good field position. Richardson held up the second row and some last gasp tackling from Jess Chegwidden and Danielle Harris prevented any dent until a scrum was awarded 5 metres out. The number just about managed to slip the ball over the line. 19-7

Bebbington was to finish off the first half/game scoring twice in quick succession, her hat trick try particularly pleasing on the eye with some deft hands between Moore, Mcintosh and herself. 31-7

The second part was a lot tighter as the weather worsened and tempers started to fray. Sirens kept their cool and seemed to spend the entire 35 minutes in the oppositions 22, Sophie Davies was like a women possessed hunting the ball down with Rachel Crowhurst as back up to make sure of any turn over. Fresh legs Lisa Gounden and Kate Mitchell added more bite out wide.

The pressure soon told and Medway’s discipline allowed Bebbington to crash over from 15 yards out (an easy run in by her standards).

Another penalty towards the end of the game saw a line out on the oppositions 5 metre line, Davies plucked the ball from the heavens, fed down to the maul and Chegwidden powered over to seal the deal. 10-0

Forward of the Match was Danielle Morley and back of the match was Amber Patience


Cheshunt (25) – Stanford (10) away friendly loss

Another weekend of rugby, another away game and again a depleted team for Stanford u15s. Missing players two weeks in a row you could be forgiven in thinking that the Stanford players would feel defeated but not these lads. The grit and determination that shows through to each and every player is in clear evidence.

Cheshunt leant Stanford a player for each half as they had the luxury of 17 players and full credit to the loaned players they really got stuck in. Cheshunt caught Stanford a little dazed in the first two minutes as some of the players were settling in to completely foreign positions. A well worked move to the side and Cheshunt were over for 5 points. After that is was all Stanford pressure but the last pass just eluded the quick hands and good lines of run to convert the pressure into points. As Stanford pushed forward Cheshunt capitalised on an error and ran a pitch length try in.

Stanford knew they had the making of their hosts and in immediate reply Jack Pidgeon, normally a forward but playing on the wing received a well laid up ball and used his speed and strength to touch down. Stanford kept up the pressure and their pack was much more clinical in the power plays given good ball to the nippy backline. Cheshunt defended hard but when the Stanford forwards had sucked in enough players Zack Burdett was released and he handed off and outstretched the covering tackles to score just in the stroke of half time, to bring the scores to 10 all.

The 2nd half was a well fought battle but Cheshunt scored 2 very good tries which Stanford couldn’t do much about. Sadly there was a third try which from the open side of play should have been disallowed as the Cheshunt player came in at the side of the ruck dropped to his knees picked up the ball and then dived over the line. The end result was not in doubt and the win was deserved by Cheshunt 25 -10.


Stanford (31) – Ipswich (12) home league win

Stanford U14’s playing with 14 players overpower Ipswich YM in important league game.

Stanford 31. Ipswich 12

George Whalley 2 tries

Joe Moran, Teddy Moss and Callum Pluck all scoring a try each. With Tom Giroud converting 2 and Callum Pluck converting 1.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles