Cricket: Thurrock 3rdX1 overcome Hornchurch

Thurrock CC III 198/7

Hornchurch Athletic CC III 181/9

Thurrock overcome local rivals Hornchurch to tighten their grip on top spot in the league and virtually guarantee promotion with three games to go. Playing away at Raphael Park,

Thurrock skipper Owen won the toss and promptly elected to bat in the hot and

sunny conditions. Wayne "The Viking" Simmons and Dan "Arg is my mate" Groves

opened the batting and enjoyed a solid opening partnership of 45 runs before

Simmons was pouched by the crocodile catching of the Hornchurch wicket keeper

for a quick fire 31 that included a six that although huge, didn’t actually

have to be as the boundary on that side of the square is notoriously short.

Iain Oakley walked out to the middle to join Groves but was bowled by the

Thurrock Slayer Steve Hunt for 9 runs. Tyrone Owen strolled out next, he is a

batsman that has been round the block more times than an X reg Ford Cortina but

unfortunately it was not to be his day either. He was bowled through his legs

by Kershaw.

Meanwhile at the opposite end, Groves was gradually building a neat

little innings but he was also bowled as he attempted to up the run rate after

the drinks break, he ended up on a jug avoidance 44 runs. Elliot McCartney

managed to salvage the Thurrock innings with his highest score in a while. A

mix of selective hitting and then finding the gaps gave him a very welcome half

century before he was bowled by Bastin.

This left the newly married Dean James Albert Wright at the crease with Michael Joseph Parker for the last few overs with quick runs the order of the day. This led to Wright departing on 4 while Parker kept up his "operation average" with 10 not out. Alfie Feeney was stumped for a rapid 18 while yet again, Tom Redman was the other not out batsman with a single off the last ball. Thurrock had set the hosts 199 to win.

For a team with relegation worries, Hornchurch set about the run chase with an

urgency of a team that needed the win. Opener Hannings was the only early

victim as Ed Sheeran lookalike Andrew Packer bowled him for 13. The next two

batsman caused Thurrock some real worries as they built a solid partnership.

This led skipper Owen to bring on his golden arm who always gets him a wicket

at times like this. Dean James Albert Wright removed Kershaw’s off stump when

he was on 41. He didn’t stop there, he also removed R. Ponting, I’m not sure

if it was the real one! He had him caught at long off by the safe hands of Mal


Bowling in tandem with Wright was young spinner Tom Redman. He had

Martin stumped for 44 with Oakley showing quicker hands than his lookalike

Carl Froch. Redman’s second wicket was Turner who was caught at slip for just

2. McCartney at slip looked like he was trying to jump out of the way of the

ball but somehow it rolled down his leg and landed in his arm and the batsman


The game was starting to fall in Thurrock’s favour and to ensure it

stayed that way Owen gave the ball to The Viking, Wayne Simmons. Hornchurch

needed quick runs and Simmons managed to pillage a run out and 3 wickets.

Speller was the man run out when the fleet of foot Andrew Packer unleashed his

arm towards the bowlers end and Simmons done the rest.

Simmons bowled Bastin and Roe and had Madams caught on the boundary at long on by Michael Parker. It was one of those catches that was diving forward and had to be caught or the fielder would be eating through a straw for a week or so afterwards! Hornchurch managed to bat out their 40 overs but it was not enough to reach the target and Thurrock III march on once again.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.