Sunday, June 16, 2024
Array

Kitchen fire in Grays

ESSEX Firefighters were called to a kitchen fire in College Avenue in Grays. On arrival, crews reported the kitchen was 100 percent alight. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel to extinguish the fire by 19:53hrs.

Station Officer Daron Driscoll said "The fire was caused by a chip pan which had been left unattended. Incidents like this shows how important it is to never leave cooking unattended. A moments distraction while cooking can lead to a potential devastating fire.

To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen:

Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.

Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.

If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker.

Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.

Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.

Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.

Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.

Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles