Sunday, September 24, 2023

Thurrock Hockey reports

Thurrock Men’s 1st X1 1 v 6 East London 2nds

MEN’S ones lost 6-1 to a well strengthened East London 2nd team. East London piled on the pressure from the start but Thurrock couldn’t respond despite putting some good passing together and creating a good few opportunities.

East then started to put some goals away it was just too much for man of the match Andy Gaut to keep out.

Thurrock pulled one back in the second half through Jeff west but the score finished 6 – 1.


East Men’s League. Division 7 southeast. Thurrock men’s 2nd team v East London 6th team. 1-0 to Thurrock.

Having lost in the reverse fixture at the beginning of the season, Thurrock knew this would be a tough game, and East London brought a full squad of 16. East London started the stronger and put the Thurrock defence under lots of pressure, but they somehow managed to limit the shooting opportunities. Right at the end of the first half, Thurrock won a short corner. Liam Birch’s shot was initially deflected straight back to him. His follow up flick was judged to be illegally stopped on the line by an East London defender. Birch took and converted the resulting penalty flick.

The second half was initially more even as Thurrock settled into a rhythm, but neither side were able to trouble the the opposition keeper.

Towards the end of the game, Thurrock say a little deeper as East London desperately tried to save the game to no avail. Thurrock go into the Christmas break in a strong position looking to push for promotion.


Playing into the face of a strong wind, Thurrock found themselves under pressure as the Braintree veteran side used their skill and physical aggression to dominate the game. Thurrock held on until just before half time when a powerfully hit ball was deflected at head height past Mark Harvey into the net. The Knights maintained their momentum in the second half and soon added a second from a short corner.

Thurrock began to see more of the ball and Dudley Mc Namara was unlucky not to get on the score sheet when he dribbled past three defenders only to see his shot deflected inches wide .

Phoenix came back and quickly moved the ball up the pitch to an unmarked midfielder who at switched the play to catch out the Thurrock defence and allow an attacker to slip the ball just inside the post. Thurrock gave it their all but found it difficult to beat the experienced defenders being restricted to long range shots which were dealt with by the keeper. In the closing minutes, as Thurrock pushed forward, they were caught out by breakaway and a fourth Phoenix goal


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles