Sunday, January 29, 2023

Rugby: Stanford defeat Pegasus in local derby

Stanford 1st XV (25) – Pegasus 1st XV (15)>/b>

Local Derby ends with honours even over the season as Stanford beat Pegasus at home to revenge their earlier season lose away.

From the start Stanford pressured Pegasus and were rewarded a penalty kick with the 1st minute of play. Calum Reid stepped up and made light work of the kick putting Stanford 3 points ahead. Stanford was in control of the open play and were rewarded with a power play try when Liam Morley broke through and scored a perfectly executed score. Reid added the extra points to ease Stanford 10 points clear of their visitors.

Stanford had started strongly but as the 1st half continued they started to defend more and more, Pegasus were pushing Stanford back. As the home side defended hard they conceded a kickable penalty bringing Pegasus onto the score board and closed out the first half trailing 10 – 3.

As the 2nd half kicked off Pegasus started the stronger and finding too many holes in the Stanford line they pushed the ball wide and scored adding the extra two points to level the scores at 10 apiece. Pegasus had the confidence now to play through their heavier forward pack and when awarded a scrum just 5 metres out from the Stanford line the pushed the home side back and touched down to take the lead for the first time in the match after 12 minutes of play in the 2nd half.

Having impeded at the break down Stanford was awarded a penalty Reid wasn’t able to add the extra points just pushing his kick wide. As the game restarted Stanford regained possession of the ball and powered forward turning their visitors with a good kick into space. As Pegasus kicked to clear their lines Kyle Munro positioned himself for the catch and jinked his way back through the oncoming defence. Munro set and recycled the ball for Stanford to spin the ball wide and Matthew Rumble side stepped one player bring the scores level at 15 -15.

Only minutes later Stanford’s pressure awarded them another penalty and Reid made no trouble putting his side back in front. As the time ticked away both side were battering each other to try and take the win. Pegasus with ball in hand managed to knock on just inside their half and pretty much centre field. Although awarded a scrum there was no guarantee that Stanford would profit from the possession as Pegasus had been the stronger of the two sides in the set play. However this time the Stanford pack stood firm and Stanford managed to move the ball wide fast. Full Back Alistair MacDonald broke into the line and made good ground, drawing several defenders MacDonald off loaded to Nick Sharp with just over 22 metres to the Pegasus line but his speed and step took him past Pegasus defence touching down giving Reid the perfect angle to convert the extra points and the game was over 25 – 15 to Stanford.


Stanford Sirens (10) – Peterborough Ladies (12)

Sirens had lost heavily to the visitors earlier on in the season and were hoping for an improvement. Especially with a full squad available. This started superbly from the kick off; slick hands from Kate Mitchell and Sarah Bebbington put Stephanie McIntosh through a gap and she galloped over. Ten minutes later and camped on the own line, Sophie Davies turned over a ruck and once more the ball got out to the centres with some space. This time Vicky Matthews sprinted the length of the pitch to score. Before half time Sirens picked up a couple of injuries to Bebbington, Megan Hasler and Chloe Gounden so had to shuffle about.

With no kicker on the pressure soon told as Peterborough played out the half in thw Stanford 22 and got themselves a try for their efforts. After half time they struck again finding a gap for their fullback to score under the posts and the conversion put them in the lead. Genevieve Beard, Gemma Smith and Georgina Kreysa came close to scoring only for last ditch tackles to stop them. Laura Wade, Lou Greenwood and Heidi Rumble all brought physicality with Bethany Seaman, Matthews and McIntosh keeping the pacey runs but to no avail. A hard ball against a well drilled outfit but a huge improvement. Sirens 10 Peterborough 12

Stanford U16s playing in a Festival

Stanford under 16s were invited to play in the Barking and Dagenham College rugby academy festival and although they never won a game they came away heads held high with the way the played. Having only 15 players in the team the boys all pulled together and despite playing large chunks of the games in their oppositions half they conceded too many break away tries as they were too slow to cover the gaps.

Kamren Boyles gave a solid performance in the unfamiliar position of wing but his chasing down and hard tackling really stood out. As ever the forwards were outstanding in the line out and strong in the scrums. This gave the backs a solid platform to run their lines and they made several good breaks.

Stanford tries came from Jake Tottman in the second game against Epping and Upper Clapton and Sean Loughran scored a hattrick in the last games against Eaton Manor.


U/13 Eton Manor (21) v Stanford (27)

Stanford travelled to Eton Manor hoping to continue their winning streak but with the bare 15 players it was a tough order. As usual the reds powered on from the whistle dominating most areas of the game, the first try came from a superbly orcastrated driving maul and touched down by inspirational captain Dylan Gale. With the visitors forwards working hard against a stiff breeze the backs had plenty of possession, which they made the most of with some strong breaks by Reece Clark and Owen Riley, who then released try machine Jonas Mendoza who completed his hat trick by half time.

The second half was a different matter, the home side made the most of fresh legs and a determined attitude which quickly got them back in the game. Stanford failed to utilise a strengthening wind, their defence was unorganised and found it difficult to stem the tide, the home side battled back to 21-22 with 5 minutes to go. The tired visitors then retained possession and mounted several attacks and it was Mendoza who crossed the line to secure a very entertaining game.

Stanfords man of the match was Dylan Gale who appeared to be everywhere and had an outstanding game.

Stanford u11s (35) – Romford u11s (30)

Stanford under 11s lost by 2 tries in this fixture on day 1 of the season and so were confident they could turn it around. Things didn’t go to plan early on as Romford started off with 4 unanswered tries using their quick game plan to good effect. After half time fly half Tyler took matters into his own hands with a hat trick. Amelia and Flinn aided by turning over the ball at most of the breakdowns. New winger Declan showed promise making every tackle. Romford scored one more try to win the first game 20-15. The second game looked better straight away with Daniel crashing over in the first minute. Followed by his prop partner in crime Alex picking up a loose ball to score himself. Some outrageous tackling from the Joshuas, Jack and Danny held strong throughout. Aaron and Taylor rucked superbly to keep the pressure on. Romford then took their only opportunities with 2 quick tries but from the restart Flinn swerved through the whole team for a sublime individual try. On the last play, utility player Sam found half a gap and slotted through to make sure of the 20-10 win.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles