Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Essex Senior League – Saturday 9th September Round-Up

Essex Senior League

There may have been a break from Essex Senior League fixtures this weekend but that was because the Buildbase FA Vase kicked off with fourteen ESL teams entering the fray.


Things kicked off on Friday evening with an East London derby at Mile End Stadium as Tower Hamlets took on Hackney Wick. In a tight game it was the hosts that edged it, with Curtis Pond scoring two excellent goals to put his side through. Ibrahim Camara also notched a goal for Hackney Wick which was equally impressive but his side were not able to overcome Pond’s double.


Reside Coxi Sebastao opened the scoring in the 15th minute and then struck again two minutes later. Calvin Poku also scored a brace as Redbridge beat Brantham Athletic 6-1. Brian Moses and Patrick Duggan also put their names down on the Motormen score sheet; by the time Jack Simmons scored the game was already lost but his final minute goal at least prevented a total whitewash.


There was another all-ESL tie as Great Wakering Rovers entertained Sporting Bengal United. The visitors however did not enjoy their hosts hospitality as they shipped six goals. Neil Richmond was the main protagonist as he scored a hat-trick with Chris Bryan, Stephen Butterworth and Jay Nash also notching.


Basildon United will have to replay their tie with St. Margaretsbury after their encounter on Saturday ended in a 1-1 draw. Marcus Bowers fired the Bees into a 59th minute lead but Ryan Wade equalised. Extra time couldn’t separate the two teams so they go at it again on Tuesday.


Waltham Forest had a fruitless trip to Framlingham Town as goals from Christopher Boardley and Danny Smith won the game 2-0 in favour of the Thurlow Nunn side. Wadham Lodge also had to travel to East Anglia and found themselves a goal down in the opening minute as Kyran Andrews put Hadleigh United into an early lead. Ben Elliott then added a second from the penalty spot early in the second half, before Mohamed Sheiknor scored a consolation two minutes from time.


Ilford beat Cornard United 2-0 as Aaron Wickham and James Peagram both notched goals. Oliver Babbage, Robert Green and Craig Knightley put paid to the Airportmen’s Vase involvement as Stansted were beaten 3-0 by Wodson Park.


A bumper crowd of 295 witnessed Sawbridgeworth Town beat Saffron Walden Town 2-1. Lewis Francis scored twice in the first half with Charlie Portway pulling one back for the hosts via a 60th minute penalty. However the Robins were able to hold on to their lead and with it a place in the next round of the Vase.


Sunday was always going to be a good day for at least one ESL side as their was one further all-ESL clash as Barkingside took on Southend Manor. Jason Fontaine scored for the hosts in the 10th minute and when Michael Ogboin extended the lead early in the second half it looked game over. However Southend Manor kept peppering the Barkingside goal and pulled one back in the 88th minute via Rhys Fatt’s glancing header. It did prove too little too late although Manor almost equalised deep in stoppage time when Bayley Newell swivelled and rifled off a fierce shot that Will Hunt superbly tipped away.


Enfield 1893 also had a good Sunday as they edged out Haverhill Borough with a solitary goal from Danny Jones being enough to see them through. The goal came in the 2nd minute and that was enough to win it.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles