Monday, June 5, 2023

Boro undone at Haringey Borough

Romford FC

Haringey Borough 2 Romford 0

Bostik North

Report by Gary Redwin

A depleted Romford team fought hard and fell to an unlucky defeat on a wet night in North London.

Paul Martin was forced to ring the changes due to player work commitments and an ever growing injury list but his team did him and the shirts they wore proud against their unbeaten opponents. On an artificial pitch Romford started at a very high tempo and most of the first twenty minutes was played in the Haringey half. After a slick move Ola Giwa back heeled to Chris Taylor but his shot was deflected just past the near post.
The hosts grew into the game and the latter part of the half saw Boro on the back foot, but they defended extremely well putting their bodies on the line to prevent any clear cut threats to goal. Keeper Stephen Reynolds who started the match, as regular stopper Michael Gooch was late due to work commitments, put in a man of the match display and on the rare occasion he was beaten Sam Mvemba and Ryan Burt-Allen were on hand to clear the ball off the line. Haringey had the half’s best opportunity, but Anthony McDonald fired his chance well wide of the goal. Reynolds produced another couple of good saves and then right on half time Jonathan Nzengo looked to have got behind the home defence but unfortunately the ball would not drop kindly, giving the defender enough time to make an important goal saving challenge before the referee brought a highly entertaining first half to a close.
Early in the second half Romford produced a quick counter attack and the right wing cross found its way to the back post were Ola Giwa could only flash a left footed volley just wide. Haringey were looking more and more dangerous but Reynolds produced a stunning double save to keep the scores level. He seemed to be on a one man mission and produced three more excellent saves but had his crossbar to thank midway through the half when a blistering drive rattled the woodwork and bounced clear.
The opening goal should have come with fifteen minutes left but after doing the hard work and rounding Reynolds sub O’Dongahue fired into the side netting. Romford deserved a point but it was not to be and with only six minutes to go a low drive tragically slipped through Reynolds’ fingers and despite a valiant effort to retrieve the ball the linesman, despite not being directly in line adjudged that the ball had marginally crossed the line and a goal was given. A better placed neutral spectator did however disagree with this decision but the goal stood. Deep into injury as Boro threw everything forward the hosts put a gloss on the scoreline as McDonald swept home his second of the match to secure three points for Haringey and once again leave Romford wondering what could have been.
Haringey Borough: Valery Pajetet, David Olufemi (Lauren Luke 88′), Michael O’Donoghue, Jorge Dtassi-Sambu, Scott Mitchell, Ramii Sherriff, Dan Aristidou (Michael Ademayui 87′), Ruarid Kay, Ralston Gabriel, Chris Benjamin, Anthony Mcdonald.
Scorer – Anthony McDonald (84′, 90′)
Romford: Stephen Reynolds, Ryan Burt-Allen, Sam Mvemba, Danny Cossington (Rowan Newland 85′), Hugo Atkinson, Ayo Olukoga, Jonathan Adebayo, Ola Giwa (Ben Clarke 68′), Chris Taylor, Craig Jeakins, Jonathan Nzengo.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles