Sunday, June 4, 2023

Essex Senior League – Saturday 25th September Round-Up


By Scott Lanza & Pete Dudley

Barkingside 2 Whitton United 0 (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

A first half horror show put paid to Barkingside’s Vase campaign. The hosts fell behind to a Franco Mallardo strike in the 10th minute although had a few chances to equalise themselves before Harry Wales capitalised on some indecisive defending and buried the ball beyond Will Hunt. And when Ryan Rampley extended the lead even further in the 34th minute it really was the end of the road for Side’s Vase campaign. However having dug themselves into a deep hole the hosts then dominated the second period, pulled one back in the 71st minute when Raphael Duyile burst into the box and slotted past the keeper and then five minutes later went and pulled a further goal back through Tony Cookey. It was sadly a little too late for Barkingside to salvage the game and Whitton dug in to make sure their first half performance wasn’t undone by any late drama.

Basildon United 2 Walsham-le-Willows 1 aet (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

Marcus Bowers netted a late extra time winner to see the Bees through to the next round after victory over Walsham-le-Willows at Gardiners Close. Ash Blackburn put the hosts ahead but a penalty from Andrew Cusack took the game into extra time. And then with five minutes left Bowers netted for the hosts and saw them through to the First Round Proper of the competition.


Hadleigh United 1 Sawbridgeworth Town 2 aet (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

The Robins netted a last minute extra time winner to dump Hadleigh United out and take their place in the next round. After a quiet goalless first half the hosts then opened the scoring two minutes into the second period through Aaron Bull. However the Robins levelled with twelve minutes to go to take the game into an extra half hour and right at the end Lewis Francis, who had equalised in normal time, popped up to grab the winner and send Sawbridgeworth through.


Ilford 0 Hullbridge Sports 3 (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

Hullbridge Sports made light work of Ilford at Cricklefields although their first half showing only saw them score once via Rob Hodgson after ten minutes. Sports went on to add two further goals in the second period as Lewis Watson and then a Luca Frankis penalty booked Hullbridge’s First Round place.


Kirkley & Pakefield 2 Burnham Ramblers 3 (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

Ramblers netted seven minutes from time to snatch an incredible win at Kirkley & Pakefield and get through to the next round. The visitors led against the run of play when a ball through to Morgan saw him provide a fine finish but the hosts levelled when a blocked shot saw a rebound deflected home and see the sides level at the break, although it was the least the hosts deserves. However Burnham retook the lead when Hughes lobbed home but the hosts struck again only a few minutes later when a square ball to Haylock saw him convert from close range. However the visitors were to find a winner in the 83rd minute when the hosts were caught napping from a free kick and saw an unmarked Hughes send a looping header in to send the wasteful hosts packing.


Redbridge 2 Coggeshall Town 2 aet (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

Both sides will have to go at it again on Tuesday evening after their pulsating game at Oakside ended in a 2-2 draw. The opening half failed to see the deadlock broken and when Dan McCullock sCoggeshall took the lead in the 74th minute it looked like the Motormen, who had been under a lot of pressure were about to capitulate. However the game went into extra time as Joshua Richardson levelled up. McCullock then fired Coggeshall into the lead in the second period of extra time but with two minutes remaining Patrick Duggan struck to level up once more for the Motormen who now have to travel up the A12 on Tuesday.


Stowmarket Town 4 Enfield 1893 5 aet (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

Enfield came from 4-2 down to eventually net a late, late winner extra time winner to dump Stowmarket Town out of the Vase. The visitor took the lead when Thomas slotted low past Brand and they doubled their lead when Mullings was played through on goal and finished past Brand. However the hosts were handed a lifeline before half time when Lewis ghosted into the box unmarked and headed home and early in the second half Stow were back on level terms when Brown’s shot went through the Enfield keeper’s hands and into the back of the net. Baker then teed up Mayhew in the box to slam home to put the hosts in front and then extended their lead as Mayhew raced into the box and fired into the top corner for his second of the game. But the visitors fought back themselves and pulled one back when Sykes’ acrobatic effort beat Brand to set up a nervy finish and this incredible game went into extra time when Staunton drilled home the Enfield equaliser. And there was to be one final twist as Enfield saw Balogun strike in the final seconds to send Stow out and inflict their first home defeat in 308 days.


Tower Hamlets 10 Little Oakley 1 (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

Curtis Pond hit four as a ruthless Hamlets made it seven wins in a row, scoring ten against Thurlow Nunn One side Little Oakley at Mile End Stadium. The hosts opened the scoring inside a minute when Pond tapped home at the far post and he scored again three minutes later, getting in down the right before firing into the far corner. And on 11 minutes it was three when an awful header back towards goal by a defender put Luke With in to slot home. Oakley did pull one back just beforr the half hour mark when a defensive error allowed Stephen Polley in to score but ten minutes before half time the  three goal lead was restored as With laid in Pond for his. Five minutes before half time Hamlets netted a fifth when a With header came off the bar, off keeper Tynan’s head and into the net, and right on half time it was six when more appalling defending allowed Pond in for his fourth and give the hosts a 6-1 lead at the break. It took Hamlets twenty second half minutes to find a seventh when Danny Childs fired an effort through keeper Tynan’s hands from outside the box and five minutes later it was eight when substitute James Ross fired home. Ross then made it nine in the 74th minute before Hasan Mustafa burst down the right and fired home the hosts tenth with fourteen minutes left to complete a memorable day for the Mile End side.


West Essex 1 Great Wakering Rovers 2 (Buildbase FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round)

Great Wakering were able to progress but made it hard work for themselves against a ten man West Essex who also saw their manager dismissed from the dug out. Jake Gordon fired the visitors into an early lead from the penalty spot but that lead was held for only four minutes as West Essex equalised via a sublime Joe Lefley free kick. Neil Richmond was then wasteful in front of goal spurning a number of chances before finally firing his side back into the lead in the 27th minute. However West Essex almost equalised two minutes later and the rest of the half saw plenty of end-to-end action. The second half saw West Essex try and find an equaliser and almost found one when they hit the post but Wakering held on to book their First Round berth.


Clapton 3 FC Romania 2 (Premier Division)

The Tons came from a goal behind at the break to defeat FC Romania at the Old Spotted Dog. The visitors held a 2-1 half time lead but saw the hosts fight back to win the game as their opponents lost their discipline late on and receive two red cards as they fell to defeat.


Stansted 8 Wadham Lodge 0 (Premier Division)

Stansted scored eight second half goals as they thrashed bottom side Wadham Lodge at Hargrave Park. After a goalless first half the deadlock was broken when James Isherwood netted before Nick Brown and a Dave Limber header made it three. Nick Carpenter made it four before Ryan Ramsey netted Stansted’s fifth and further goals from Chris Gormley, plus a second from Limber and Brown completed the rout and give the hosts their first home league win in style.


Woodford Town (2017) 1 Hackney Wick 2 (Premier Division)

The Wickers are now sitting in fifteenth place in the table after Friday evening’s game at Goffs Lane ended in a 2-1 victory. Jeff Idemudia and Ibrahim Camara scored a goal apiece which cancelled out Andre Bennett’s goal for the Woods.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles