Family made homeless after fire in Grays

Screenshot 2020-01-02 at 08.03.39

ESSEX Firefighters have issued safety advice after a family of five were made homeless on New Year’s Day by a fire caused by a faulty charger.

Crews were called to the mid-terrace home in Prospect Place, Grays this afternoon after the charger, which was plugged into an electric hoverboard, had ignited. Members of the family were home at the time and noticed the fire, which had quickly spread to a sofa.

Steve Powley, Crew Manager at Grays Fire Station, said: “Unfortunately we believe an after market charger has overheated and ignited here today – proving once again that it just isn’t worth the risk of buying cheaper or lower standard adaptors.

“We recommend using the manufacturer’s chargers whereever possible, but you should always look out for the CE mark on any charger or plug you use – if it doesn’t have it, there’s a chance it could be a fire hazard.”

The fire was extinguished by 3.04pm. Firefighters managed to prevent the fire from spreading to neighbouring properties within the terrace, which suffered light smoke damage in their loft area – but unfortunately the family have been made homeless.

The Red Cross are supporting the people affected in finding alternative accommodation in the short-term.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.