Thursday, September 28, 2023

Fire Service say ‘luckily resident had been awake’ after fire at Tilbury residence with no working smoke alarms

By Eric White

ESSEX Fire and Rescue Service are urging residents to test their smoke alarms after they were called to a house fire in the early hours of this morning (Monday 13th April).

Crews were called to Quebec Road in Tilbury to a fire in an electric cupboard.

Firefighters worked to extinguish the fire by 4:44am.

Crews fitted smoke alarms in the property before leaving.

Watch Manager Scott Fretton from Orsett Fire Station said: “Luckily, the resident had been awake to notice a small fire in the electric cupboard but had they have been asleep, they had no working smoke alarms in the home to alert them to the fire.

“Smoke alarms are proven life savers, they alert you to the first signs of fire, giving you and your family time to get out of the house and call the fire service out.”

If you or someone you know doesn’t have working smoke alarms on every level of your home, the Fire Service can fit them for free during a home fire safety visit.

Book your free home fire safety visit here:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles