Monday, February 26, 2024

West Thurrock: Passer-by saves couple after spotting fire in flat and raising alarm

A VIGILANT passer-by raised the alarm and helped save the lives of a couple living on Draper Close in West Thurrock in the early hours of this morning (Sunday, 24 January).

Smoke from afire in a ground floor flat was spotted by a passer-by, who was unable to wake the couple living in the home but alerted the fire service at around 3.30am.

Two crews of firefighters from Grays Fire Station responded and gained entry to the property and extinguished the fire by 4.10am. The kitchen has suffered from smoke damage but no one was harmed.

The couple had fallen asleep in the early hours with food on their stove.

Grays Watch Manager Kevin Hercock said: “This incident once again highlights how dangerous it is to cook while tired – it’s incredibly easy to fall asleep and put your own life at risk.

“On this occasion, there was no working smoke alarm in the property – so the couple involved were very fortunate that a passer-by called 999.

“Please, if you’re going to eat late at night or after a night shift, try and prepare something in advance or eat something that doesn’t require cooking.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles