Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Chip pan fire in Chafford Hundred

ESSEX Firefighters were called to a second chip pan fire within 24 hours earlier today in Chafford Hundred.

Watch Manager Mark Hampton, said:

“When we arrived at the property, the occupants were safely outside and had done the right thing in turning the hob off, getting outside and calling 999.

“They told us that they had put the pan on but forgotten about it until it started smoking and then saw a flame. They knew that they shouldn’t put water on the fire and the important thing was to get out of the house safely.

“The fire was already out, but it could have been much worse if they had put any water on the oil as it causes a huge fire ball.

“This is the second chip pan fire within 24 hours within the Grays area, so we want to urge everyone who cooks with oil to take a look at our safety advice to avoid this happening again”.

When cooking with oil:

  • Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily
  • Make sure food is dry before putting it in hot oil so it doesn’t splash
  • If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot.  Turn off the heat and leave it to cool
  • Use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer. They can’t overheat
  • If your pan catches fire, turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water or a damp tea towel over it

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles