Sunday, December 3, 2023

Cigarette sparks fire that damaged Grays home

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a property in Thurrock on Friday when passers-by alerted a resident to a fire at the rear of their home.

Crews were called to Blackshots Lane, Grays, at 11.14am, after a young male was made aware of a fire at the back of his home by passers-by.

On arrival, firefighters confirmed there was a fire at the rear of the property. The fire had started outside and quickly spread to the rear door and fascias, and had started to spread into the kitchen which was heavily smoke-logged.

Crews extinguished the fire, and cleared the property of smoke by 11.49am. They also fitted two smoke alarms before leaving.

Watch Manager at Grays, Gary Bannister, said: “I really want to praise the crews from Grays, who acted quickly to prevent further damage to the property.”

The fire is thought to have been caused by a cigarette, which was discarded near some rubbish, outside. After a short time, the cigarette re-ingnited and set the rubbish on fire, which quickly spread to the back door and fascias.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles