THE winners of the Thurrock Education Awards 2022 were announced at a special ceremony on Friday 8 July.
Taking place at the Civic Hall, Grays, the amazing talents of colleagues across early years settings, schools and colleges in Thurrock were celebrated. The ceremony brought together finalists from across 11 award categories, as well as a special Director’s award.
The announcement of the winners are as follows:
- Excellence in early years education, sponsored by DG International – Manager and team, Little Chestnuts Preschool
- Newcomer of the year, sponsored by Strategy Education – Sam Tizard, Bonnygate Primary School
- Teaching and school support of the year, sponsored by Moore Kingston Smith – Kate Stonell, Thames Park School
- Excellence in English or science, technology, engineering or maths (STEM), sponsored by DP World London Gateway – STEM Team, Olive AP Academy
- Excellence in sport or the creative arts, sponsored by Impulse Leisure – Aimee Valentine, Abbots Hall Primary Academy
- Inclusive opportunities for skills development, sponsored by DG International – Alexa Joel, William Edwards School
- Mental health and well-being champion, sponsored by Palmers Solicitors – Stuart Holmes, Abbots Hall Primary Academy
- Teacher of the year primary, sponsored by H W Wilson Ltd – James Powell, East Tilbury Primary School
- Teacher of the year secondary, including post-16, sponsored by DG International – Beverley Garnham, Thurrock Adult Community College
- Education leader of the year, sponsored by Port of Tilbury – joint winners: Dan George, Lansdowne Primary Academy and The Gateway Primary Free School and Collette Hunnisett, Olive AP Academy
- Going the extra mile (GEM) award, sponsored by H W Wilson Ltd – Stephen Sanger, Dilkes Academy
- Director’s Award for outstanding contribution to education in Thurrock – Kevin Sadler, The Gateway Learning Community
Cllr Barry Johnson, Cabinet Members for Children’s Services and Education, said: “It was an honour to celebrate the great talent and acknowledge the achievements and accomplishments of those across our early years settings, schools and post-16 providers on Friday evening.
“Thank you to our sponsors for making this event possible – Thames Freeport, Greenergy, DG International, Strategy Education, Moore Kingston Smith, DP World London Gateway, Impulse Leisure, Palmers Solicitors, HW Wilson Ltd and the Port of Tilbury.
“This year we received 517 nominations, the highest we’ve ever received, and everybody who was nominated and shortlisted as finalists should be truly proud of themselves. Congratulations to all of the finalists and winners of this year’s Thurrock Education Awards.”
For more information on the Thurrock Education Awards visit thurrock.gov.uk/educationawards