Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Football: Aveley to replay fixture after game abandoned due to injury

FA Cup First Qualifying Round

Aveley 1 v 1 Potters Bar

AVELEY FC have voluntarily offered to travel for an FA Cup replay after Saturday’s home first qualifying round clash was abandoned with only a few minutes remaining with the scores tied.

Millers’ chief executive Craig Johnson announced after the match: “The referee had no option but to abandon play with an ambulance called.

“We have decided to travel to Potters Bar on Tuesday for the replay, taking the decision away from the FA, giving both teams certainty and time to prepare for the game.

“In the meantime, more importantly, we wish the player well and hope he is discharged from hospital when safe to do so.”

A statement from Potters Bar says: “We would like to thank Aveley FC’s medical team, who were superb, for their help in dealing with the situation.”

The game will be replayed Tuesday at the Lantern Stadium, 7.45pm kick off.

The scores were level at that point thanks to an equaliser two minutes from time from George Sykes, who headed home after Harry Gibbs had nodded the ball back into the box.

The two sides who have made a great start to the new campaign, sharing the lead of the Isthmian Premier, were evenly matched throughout in a contest where goalmouth action was scarce.

Aveley had keeper David Hughes to thank in the tenth minute when Kasim Aido was put through on goal but the keeper was off his line quickly and made a good save down low.

The only other significant goalmouth action of the first half was a header from Ryan Scott that was saved, but it would have been ruled out anyway for offside.

In the second half Hughes was again the saviour for the Millers with a brilliant save to deny Lewis Manor a goal when his header seemed certain to hit the back of the net.

But on 64 minutes there was nothing Hughes could do to deny Manor the opening goal when he flicked the ball into the net from a couple of yards out.

That looked to be the match decider, particularly after Aveley had what looked a valid shout for a penalty after Sykes struck a shot goalward and it was stopped by a hand.

However, Sykes did find the net two minutes from time, moments before the match was stopped when Bar’s player suffered a horrific looking head injury and the match could not be restarted.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles