Thursday, May 30, 2024

West Thurrock: Smoke alarms alert family to bedroom fire

ESSEX firefighters are highlighting the importance of having working smoke alarms after a mother and her three-year-old daughter were able to escape a house fire in Thurrock last night.

Crews were called to Credo Way, Thurrock at 9:59pm after the resident had heard her smoke alarms going off and got out of the house with her young daughter.

On arrival, crews reported that a bedroom upstairs was on fire.

Crews worked to extinguish the fire by 10:18pm. Firefighters believe the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

The family have been rendered homeless due to the smoke damage.

Watch Manager Gary Bannister from Grays Fire Station said: “This incident really shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms. We believe that had the resident not had smoke alarms at home, the fire was spreading so quickly that they would not have had time to escape the house.

“Instead, the smoke alarms went off soon after the fire started which gave the resident time to grab her young daughter, get out of the house and dial 999.

“Please make sure you have at least one working smoke alarm on every level of your home and test your smoke alarms regularly. If you or someone you know hasn’t got working smoke alarms at home, did you know we can fit them for free? Please get in touch with our home fire safety team by calling 0300 303 0088 or by visiting www.essex-fire.gov.uk/book.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles