Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Thurrock 1 Chelmsford City 1

Bill Robinson reports from Ship Lane…..

The second meeting of these two sides over the festive season, with both teams eager to maintain there play off prospects and Thurrock were looking for revenge the last minute winner that Chelmsford scored on Boxing Day.

Thurrock had the greater possession and perhaps the better chances in the first 45 minutes although there were few.

We had to wait for the last few minutes of the half before any real chances were created, the first being when Matt Bodkin, on the right flank put in a cross to the near post but Reiss Gilbey was beaten to the ball by the head of Steve Ward.

Then within the four additional minutes being added on again Gilbey struck a long range effort from 30 yards but Keeper Ashley Harrison had it covered. Then Lee Flynn took a free kick some 25 yards from goal on the left, his direct effort was high over the bar.

In the second half both teams competed more, and more chances were created. The Clarets had the edge this half, but the Thurrock defence managed to keep them at a distance and only tested Joe Woolley in the Thurrock goal with some on target long range efforts.

Thurrock changed their two strikers just after the hour hoping that they could make the breakthrough, but neither Paul Olima or Matthew Judge managed to trouble the tall Chelmsford back four.

On 85 minutes the Thurrock supporters hearts dropped as Chelmsford scored what everybody thought would be another late winner, the moved started when a Thurrock throw in on the left flank ended up at the feet of Anthony Cook, he quickly played the ball through the stranded

Thurrock defence and found Ricky Modeste racing towards goal with only keeper Woolley to beat, his shot sent the keeper the wrong direction as the ball ended up in the net.

The referee advised that a minimum of four additional minutes were to be played and to Thurrock’s credit they pushed forward looking for a deserved equaliser.

In the 94th minute and only seconds remaining a deep cross to the far post came in from Matt Bodkin, the ball bounced around and it was David Bryant that took the ball to the by-line before crossing again to the far post where Rob Swaine was waiting to head home the equaliser.

The one point still leaves Thurrock in sixth place but a win on Tuesday evening away at Bromley could take them into second place.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles