Thurrock 25 v 19 Ipswich

FOR the second consecutive week the man in the middle sent three Thurrock players to the sin-bin which made winning this game comfortably, to holding on in the closing moments as a converted try from Ipswich could have meant defeat for the home side. Thurrock made a comfortable start and from a line out a rolling maul ended with Ben Timson touching down to score. The home side continued to use the breeze to their advantage pinning the ball into the corner, from an infringement and a resultant scrum, Andy Eaton made a break and Rob Batho in support went over as the Captain made a welcome return after 12 weeks out with injury to score in the corner. Jamie Reid narrowly missed both conversions.

Thurrock looked the most likely to score again despite Ipswich trying to run the ball at every opportunity but poor hands and kicking from hand see them throw away numerous chances, and it was Thurrock who added after a great turn over and a quick counter attack see backs and forwards combine with Ian Rudgely finishing off a fine move, this time Reid added the extra’s and Thurrock a 17-0 half time lead.

The second half continued as the first half finished, with Woodward completing his 10 stint in the sin-bin Thurrock back to a full complement got further on to the score sheet when a line out move 5 metres from the Ipswich line was perfectly executed and Ben Timson added his second try. Ipswich then at last points on the board, players and supporters alike believed the Ipswich centre entered the ruck from an offside position picked up the ball and ran in under the post untouched, Thurrock having stopped for the split second awaiting the ref’s whistle allowed him to score under the posts for converted try. Thurrock however quickly cancelled out part of that score as Earl Gorman landed an easy penalty in front of the posts.

Then the fun began as the referee took over as Luke Crowhurst went to the sin-bin for not rolling away as he was stuck in the maul it was a harsh decision, Ipswich trying to make use of the extra man added another unconverted try, before Billy Smith was a third player to go to the bin after not retreating 10 metres before playing the ball, just seconds after the return of Crowhurst. Ipswich added a converted try with 4 minutes to go but Thurrock had a full team for the last two minutes of the game and spent it all in the Ipswich half. Another win and another two points, Thurrock now spend the week in preparation for the will be the biggest game of the season at home to second place Sudbury.

Team Darryl Worster, James Reid ,Earl Gorman, Ben Stanley,Nathan Farrell, Ian Rudgely, Andy Eaton, Stefan North, Dan Carey, Billy Smith, Andy Kettleton, Aaron Woodward, Luke Crowhurst, Ben Timson, Brad Rettigan Rep: Tom Howells, Ben Partridge, Sam Porter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.