Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Belhus CC Match Reports

Belhus 1st 212-9
Eastwood 1st 213-9

Belhus visited Belfairs Park for a Thursday game as part of Eastwood’s cricket week.  With Belhus batting first, Billy Winter and Peter Clark crafted an opening partnership of 101 in 22 overs, Clark reached his 50 first, from 63 deliveries in 78 minutes which included seven boundaries but was then promptly bowled.  Wickets then fell at regular intervals, Winter being the third to go for 60 (eight fours, 102 balls faced) with the team score on 150, while George Brooks was inventive in his 38-ball 31. At the tail end of the innings Joe Joyce (22) and Ryan Wells (15 not out) produced some dynamic running as the visitors closed on 212 for 9 (40 overs). Following the tea interval, Eastwood set off in pursuit in an aggressive fashion putting opening bowlers Darren Wells and Sam Hall to the sword. The Eastwood innings kept pace with the required rate and although a sterling effort at one end from Paul Whitlock (8-2-23-2) stifled runs, the other end continued to leak.  Wickets though did continue to fall with no Eastwood batsman passing 50, some good death bowling from Winter (3 for 28), Bradley Walker (2 for 13) and Hall looked like it had snuffed out the Eastwood charge as with 12 balls remaining Eastwood required 18 runs for victory with just one wicket standing. Harp hit Winter for three fours and a single leaving 5 required off the last over.  A first ball boundary four appeared to lift the tension but it took four more deliveries for Eastwood to snatch the winning run in a game played in a good spirit throughout.

Belhus 1st 159 all out
Southend EMT 1st 163-6

Belhus first eleven suffered a four-wicket home defeat at the hands of Southend EMT in the Shepherd Neame League on Saturday. The visitor’s Wayne Spear pierced the heart of Belhus hopes as he finished the game on 32 not out, to add to his four catches taken earlier.  For Belhus, Gavin Jefferies made 39 and Michel Fogg 37, while smaller contributions came from Joe Joyce, 12, Ben Marns, 29 and Luke Clements with 13.  Southend’s third change bowler, Bobby Mills, claimed 4-12 from 4.5 overs, while Chris Hunt picked up 3-60 and Ben Wathen 2-29. James Holmwood top scored for the visitors with 57, ably supported by Wathen, 29, and Kevin Grant with 22.

Southend EMT 2nd 267-6 dec
Belhus 2nd 100 all out

A fine knock of 110 from Mayer enabled Southend to lord it over Belhus at Southchurch Park on Saturday. Combined with a contributory 56 from Enderby, followed up in the post-tea session by Robinson’s 5-31, Belhus were clearly second best throughout this encounter. Danny Norris was the only visiting batsman to reach double figures, with a creditable 40 runs.

Belhus 3rd 238-5 dec
Hornchurch 4th 241-2

Gary Pritchard of Hornchurch blazed his way to a fine 118 as he put on 180 for the first wicket with opener George Clark (75 not out) at the Fielders Sports Ground on Saturday.  Pritchard was eventually dismissed when caught by Nathan Turner off the bowling of Brian Edwards.  It was Turner who had earlier top scored for Belhus with 68, while Jim Robertson continued his fine run of form with the bat with 64.  George Brooks scored 31 not out for the visitors with Edwards finishing on 20 not out.

Belhus 1st  239-7
Thetford 1st 188-9

Billy Winter and Chris Baker helped themselves to half centuries by scoring 61 and 52 respectively while Joe Joyce, 39 and Danny Norris, 23, also made significant contributions to the Belhus cause at North Stifford on Sunday.  In this 40-overs per side fixture, Kerling top scored for the Norfolk visitors with 51 and former Belhus member Jason Peters hit 35 on his return to his old club since re-location to Thetford.  Sparkes contributed 29 for the welcome one-day tourists but Brian Edwards and Richard Waters kept things in check with 3-23 from eight overs and 2-14 from five overs respectively.

Horton Kirby 2nd 152 all out
Belhus 2nd 154-4

The visitors from Kent were off like a train, having plundered 70 runs without loss from the first twelve overs.  But then spin bowler Ryan Wells was introduced to the attack and, backed up by his captain Paul Whitlock, these two claimed six wickets between them and turned the game on its head.  Wells finished with 3-21 off eight overs (three maidens), while Whitlock compiled 3-18, also from eight overs.  Mike Randall and Mathew Lewis junior then performed their batting duty admirably, with Randall even plundering a six – not from a huge boundary hit – but from three overthrows after already having completed three runs.  Apparently both batsmen declined offers of oxygen from members in the pavilion!  Randall was eventually dismissed for 60, while Lewis hit the winning runs, finishing on 38 not out.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles