Unsafe electric blankets have been replaced for Thurrock residents following testing organised by Thurrock’s Trading Standards Team.
31 blankets were collected by Essex Fire and Rescue from drop off points across the borough and of these 5 were found to be faulty. They have been replaced with new ones.
To ensure electric blankets are safe follow these top tips:
* Read and follow the manufacturers’ instructions before use and keep these safe.
* Examine your blanket regularly for signs of wear and damage
* If the fuse in the 13amp plug requires changing, a 3 amp BS1362 fuse must be fitted.
* Leave it on the bed or place it flat on spare bed when not in use or fold the blanket and place it in the original box or container.