Thursday, September 21, 2023

Thurrock 1 v 1 Chelmsford

Thurrock dug out a creditable draw against play off contenders Chelmsford City at Ship Lane tonight (Tuesday).

The Clarets had thumped Thurrock 6-1 in December but this was a more durable, obstinate Fleet who grafted out the point.

The pitch was perfect for neat one touch football from Chelmsford who early on stroked the ball very neatly.

It led to the first corner of the game from a goalmouth scramble saw the ball ushered away by Fleet.

A clash of heads between Joe Woolley and Wayne Gray stopped the game for several minutes. When the game resumed Woolley showed total command of his area.

City oozed class and pace but Thurrock showed application.

In the 11th minute, the dangerous Rob Edmans strode into the box but his shot was cut out by Kenny Clark.

In the 22nd minute Thurrock had their best period of possession of the game so far. They grafted a corner. Matt Bodkin sent the ball over and from the edge of the box, Paul Olima hit the bar

In the 25th minute, Marlon Patterson upended John Martin in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. The normally reliable Dave Rainsford’s stepped up but blasted the ball over the bar and far away.

The game started to open out which suited Thurrock.

On the stroke of half time. Woolley scycthed down Edmans outside the box for which he received a yellow card but once again the Clarets wasted their chances.

Thurrock re-started brightly. Matt Bodkin took an early free kick which Lock did well to head away for a corner.

In the 54th minute, David Knight produced a fine run down the right and crossed. The keeper Pulllen spilled the ball but there was no-one there to take advantage.

Edmans had another chance to score as he broke free but again Woolley smothered the ball. A few minutes later a looping shot by Edmans put further pressure on the Fleet goal.

Thurrock broke the deadline in the 62nd minute when Pullen once again fluffed the ball from a corner and Kenny Clark got his head to the ball to put the Fleet in the lead.

Chelmsford got back into it in the 67th minute when Clark handled in the box and Dave Rainford didn’t make the same mistake twice and scored from the spot.

Subs came on, the game continued to stretch but it became very scrappy although Wayne Gray went close at the near post.

Clarets should have scored the winner in injury tome when ex-Grays John Martin a fantastic through ball to Ali Chaaban but his shot was blocked by Joe Woolley.

The corners rained down on the Fleet goal but they repelled each advance to secure the point for Fleet and see them edge a little closer to safety.

J Woolley, C Pope, M Patterson, P Olima, R Swaine, D Cracknell, M Bodkin, K Clark, J Richards, D Knight (77 R Harris), T Tejan-Sie (60. J. Carlos)

Subs J Carlos, S Scanlon, R Harris, L Hodges, R Stalley

Att: 479


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles