Firefighters were called to a fire in house in Crouch Road, Chadwell St Mary on Bank Holiday Monday.
Crews wore two sets of breathing apparatus and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire by 11:11hrs.
A thermal image camera was used to check for any remaining hotspots.
A man suffered from smoke inhalation and oxygen therapy was administered by crews.
Sub Officer Howard Midwood from Orsett fire station said:
“Crews were called to a fire in the upstairs of a semi-detached house. ECFRS Fire Control which handles the 999 calls advised the fire crew en-route to the incident that a man was running into his property to attempt to put the fire out himself.
Jackie Scaggs from ECFRS Control added “The original 999 call had been received from the man’s wife stating there was a fire in a bedroom upstairs and that her husband was attempting to put the fire out on his own. I asked the wife to put her husband on the phone to myself so that I could advise him that for his own safety not to enter the burning house and to reassure him that the firefighters were on there way, and not to panic.”
“When fire crews arrived the fire had taken hold of the bedroom and the area upstairs was heavily smoke logged. Crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the property to extinguish the fire.
Meanwhile other members of the fire crew were dealing with the man aged 37 years old who was suffering smoke inhalation and the rest of the family who were suffering from shock, including the wife and three children aged seven and five, and a one year old. The first floor of the house has been badly damaged by the fire and the smoke, and as a result the family have been made temporarily homeless.
“Thankfully the man had not endangered his life to tackle the fire on his own. It was down to a great team effort from the Crews and Control, and that Jackie had managed to calm the man down and stop him from going back into the property to fight the fire.
“It is advisable to have a working smoke alarm and a fire plan, discuss your plan with members of your family, so if you do have a fire you know what you need to do in the event of an emergency. If a fire breaks out in your home, you should get out, stay out and call 999 and wait for the fire service to arrive. Never try to tackle a fire in your home.” Said Sub Officer Midwood
ECFRS provides home fire safety visits to vulnerable members of the community and advice on fire plans and smoke alarms, please call 0845 6012495