Dockers crash out of FA Cup to late winner

Tilbury 1 Arlesey Town 2 – FA Cup

Arlesey Town scored a late winner to see off a gritty Tilbury side and progress to the 2nd Qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Paul Vaughan made two changes from Tuesday’s defeat at home to Heybridge Swifts, returning was Paul King and Conor Mead. Tilbury started well and a cross from Conor Mead after only nine minutes, lead to Emiel Aiken having his shot saved.

The Southern League Premier side took the lead on 36 when substitute for Arlesey Chris Marsh came on and caused problems for Tilbury and was in the thick of the action for the goal, when he crossed and Dean Sinclair slotted home. The visitors almost made it two on half time but a last gasp save by Mead denied them.

The second half opened brightly and Aiken effort was just wide followed by a good defensive save by Mead.

The visitors captain Derek Brown headed over from a corner. Tilbury were back in the game on the hour when the excellent Mead crossed into the box, a defensive mistake and the ball fell to Aaron Matthews who hit home. Substitute Ofoche should have given Tilbury the lead on 68 but headed just wide.

On 80 it looked to be Tilbury’s day when Matthews was played in and hit the target, only to be scrambled for a corner.

With 4 minutes to go, Arlesey took the tie when a free kick from Deeney went straight in from a free kick.
Tilbury pushed hard in the final minutes, which included keeper James Marrable coming up for corners.

After the game Captain Gary Henty commented ” Unlucky we did not get a draw out of today’s game. We had some good pressure in the second half. The winning goal was against the run of play”

The Dockers return to the league on Saturday when they travel in to Hertfordshire to play Potters Bar Town. 3.00pm.


Marrable, Mead, Nightingill, King, S West, Henty, Aiken, Barnes (Webb 75), J West (Ofoche 68), Good, Wraight (Matthews 41)

Subs not used Medine, Fry, Cook and Leatherbarrow

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.