Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Dale Farm: Councillor slams council’s “abysmal” response plan

TORY COUNCILLOR, Danny Nicklen slammed the council’s preparations in the light of any diaspora from Dale Farm as “abysmal”

To the visible irritation of the chief executive, Graham Farrant, cllr Nicklen made reference to the ability of a group of travellers to set up camp on council land at Tilbury market in Calcutta Road and pointed to a number of areas throughout the borough that were left “insecure.”

Cllr Andy Smith shot back that “Officers had ensured that a number of key places including Grangewaters in South Ockendon, Parker Road in Grays to name but a few had been secured.”

He added: “That he had not heard of any concerns re the contingency plans from councillor Nicklen until now.”

Deputy leader, Val Morris Cook added that cllr Nicklen had been given details of plans some time ago.

5 COMMENTS

  1. Cllr Andy Smith “Officers had ensured that a number of key places including Grangewaters in South Ockendon, Parker Road in Grays to name but a few had been secured.”

    Deputy leader, Val Morris Cook “cllr Nicklen had been given details of plans some time ago.”

    So Cllr Smith knew nothing of Cllr Nicklens concerns, yet Cllr Cook said he had been given details, meaning Cllr Nicklen must of raised his concerns for him to have been given the details. Seems to me the administration is trying to hide their lack of preparation, judging from the two answers from two senior figures that contradict each other

  2. Is Cllr Nicklen really suggesting that Thurrock council block the entrance to all its car parks and open spaces?

    Every council and open space in Thurrock and neighbouring councils are vulnerable at any time and not just now because of Dale farm.

    I think that you will find that travellers that were on the market space in Tilbury had visited the same car park about 2 years ago and then like this time they were passing through and were gone within 24 hours.

    If Danny Nicklen believes that this is the right approach and that is what he would have done had the conservatives been in power you will begin to get why they overspent by a million pounds year on year and left the council without a pot to p**s in.

    Perhaps Cllr Nicklen might find it useful to do the next round of emergency planning that is offered to ALL councillors and then he would not have to hassle the officers and leave them to do their day job.

  3. Why is he worried about Thurrock. His rotary friend told us his friend was more concerned what goes on in Colchester as he lives there ?

  4. Two weeks on and no onslaught of travellers in Thurrock – how much of Thurrock tax payers money would have been spent buildig our fortress and closing off our open spaces.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles