Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Rocks come back from 3-0 down to earn draw in FA Cup

EAST Thurrock made a sensational comeback from 3-0 down at half time to draw 3-3 against North Greenford United in the 3rd Prelim Round of the FA Cup.

The Rocks got off to the worst possible start when lack marking by skipper Ben Wood let Zak Joseph in to loop the ball over keeper Richard Wray.

The Rocks looked all over the place and it didn’t help being so badly depleted with just two players on the bench.

Former Spurs youth player, Zak Joseph continued to cause mayhem whilst Rocks were spending most of their time arguing with each other.

Things got worse for the Rocks in the 24th minute when again, Joseph was given so much time to set himself up in the box and score from close range.

Rocks started to feel their way back into the game. Kris Newby forced a great save out of keeper Baboucar Gary Jallow.

But then North Greenford made it 3-0 as from a corner Danny Bewnell was left totally unmarked to head across to Jamie Diston who headed it home.

Rocks looked like they were playing with eight players. There were holes everywhere and Greenford looked like they could have a hatful.

Remarkably considering they only had two fit subs, they brought on three at half time. Tom Stephens, Sam Higgins and Greg Cohen coming on.

The difference was immediate with East Thurrock having a lot more urgency.

Kye Ruel was a man reborn, twisting and turning. In the 51st minute, he burst through the Greenford box to score and give a glimmer of hope for the Rocks.

In the 62nd minute, Greg Cohen made it 3-2. Reiss Gilbey was mowed down from just outside the box. Greg Cohen’s first free kick ploughed into the wall but the second shot whistled into the back of the net from thirty yards.

East Thurrock were on the hunt for the third as the shots rained down on the Greenford goal.

Greenford had let go of a 3-0 lead the previous week and looked intent on repeating the feat.

And so it had to be: In the 76th minute, Sam Higgins volleyed home after a great cross from Tom Stephens.

The game was set for a great grandstand finish and it did not disappoint. But for all of the Rocks pressure they couldn’t carve out a real chance.

The replay takes place on Tuesday at Greenford. Kick off: 7.45pm



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles