Friday, March 1, 2024

Rocks put on proud display but unravelled by the Silkmen

FA Cup Round 1

East Thurrock 0 v 3 Macclesfield Town

IT WAS the stuff of dreams but there was no happy ending for East Thurrock after they went down 3-0 to League Two Macclesfield Town

A bumper crowd of 1207 saw the Rocks start brightly. Kye Ruel went in early and dispossessed a sleepy Silks defence as the Rocks looked to set their stall out.

The difference in build was clear but Rocks looked determined in the biggest game in their 42-year history.

The long throws of Lewis Chalmers caused a little bit of concern

Great cross in from Tom Stephens was well held by keeper Veiga as Rocks looked to by-pass the Cheshire side.

The first chance of the game came in the seventh minute when a Sam Higgins header looped over the bar and another chance in the 12th minute when Chalmers slipped letting Higgins in again but his shot went wide.

George Donnelly’s pace was also a concern as was a Sam Wedgebury free kick in the 13th minute but it was wide of Wrays post.

A challenge on keeper Richard Wray went unpunished as you felt that size would matter in this contest.

Greg Cohen produced some silky skills against the Silkmen that delighted the crowd. Infact Cohen, whose brother Chris plays for Nottm Forest looked key to the success of the Rocks.

Another Macclesfield free kick produced nothing as the game maintained a fair tempo.

The chances started to roll for the Rocks. In the 36th minute, Kye Ruel got round the back but the keeper managed to scramble the ball away. A minute later, Sam Higgins latched onto a through ball but again Veiga did just enough.

The keeper Veiga slipped again and Reiss Gilbey nearly cashed in but his chip just went over the bar.

Ross Draper had a chance of an attack but his attack was snuffed out by some great track back defending from Kris Newby.

But it was Macclesfield who opened the scoring as in the 43rd minute, George Donnelly surged into the area on the right of the area, there was a suspicion of handball, a moments hesitation by the Rocks, he crossed and Carl Tremarco pushed the ball home from close range.

Rocks had 62% of the possession in the first half and contined to have the lion share at the beginning of the second half. Sam Collins shot straight at the keeper.

Although 1-0 up, the Silkmen defence were still unravelling but the Rocks were struggling to exploit them. Indeed it felt as if Macclesfield had taken the heat out of the game.

And they made it harder when they scored a second in the 61st minute. A goalmouth scramble and sub Matthew Hamshaw tucked the ball away.

But Covo’s boys didn’t gve up. Sam Collins went so close in the 63rd minute with a neat flick in the six yard bix that Veiga just got the slightest hand to.

George Donnelly made it 3-0 as he thumped the ball home. East Thurrock were now playing for pride but kept plugging away.

Sam Collins kept plugging away down the flank, Reiss Gilbey kept trying to expand the game.

Greg Cohen sent over a corner in the 83rd minute but it was easily repelled. At the other end, the Rocks defence also fended away three corners in a row.

Rocks will have learned a lot about themselves and their strengths. They return to the league where they sit second from bottom, determined to now get out of the relegation zone.

East Thurrock Utd

R Wray, R Sammons, T Stephen, B Wood, S Peddie, R Gilbey, K Newby (P Elbi 83), G Cohen, S Higgins, K Ruel, S Collins

Subs not used , J Cass M Gorbell J Keith J Cook L Scott J Riley

Macclesfield Town

J Veiga, J Bateson, C Tremarco, N Brown, L Chalmers, R Draper, G Donnelly, C Daniel, S BrisleyW Fairhurst, S Wedgebury, S Boden (M Hamshaw 52)

Subs not used: P Morgan,S Collis, A Roberts, D Gray, J Bolton

Yellow cards: Tremarco

Attendance 1207


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles