Monday, April 15, 2024

Smoke alarm saves Corringham pensioners life

A CORRINGHAM pensioners life was saved after a smoke alarm signalled her cooker was on fire.

The incident happened at just after midday on Sunday in Fobbing Road, Corringham

Firefighters were called to a fire in the kitchen and reports that the cooker was on fire. The fire was out on arrival before the fire crews arrived.

Station Officer Geoff Wheal from Corringham Fire Station said:

“Essex County Fire and Rescue Service had fitted the property with a smoke alarm approximately six months ago. The smoke alarm alerted the 73 year old resident that there was a fire in her kitchen. The lady had been cooking her Sunday dinner and had not heard her cooker timer go off on the oven as she had been watching TV in another room. Thankfully the smoke alarm went off in the hallway alerting her to the fire and she called 999.

Station Officer Wheal added: “A smoke alarm provides you with a vital early warning system that a fire has started in your home, giving you time to get out of your property and call the Fire Service.”

If you would like advice on home fire safety and smoke alarms please call 0845 6012495


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles