Thursday, October 6, 2022

Fire bosses plea for kitchen safety after man rescued from Grays fire

ESSEX fire bosses have urged residents to take care in the kitchen after another fire in Thurrock.

Firefighters were called at just before 9pm on Saturday to a kitchen fire at Worthington Close in Grays in which a man suffered smoke inhalation.

The fire was out on arrival but crews ensured no hot-spots remained.The man was left in the care of the ambulance service.

Incidents like this show the importance of fire safety in the kitchen.Assistant Divisional Officer Chris Noakes said: “Our firefighters attend hundreds of fires a year which originate in the kitchen. Cooking is one of the major causes of fires in the home and even the smallest kitchen fire can cause devastation to your home and leave loved ones injured or even killed.”

A quarter of kitchen fires are caused by deep fat frying and these fires tend to be the most serious with more than one in 10 causing injury compared to an injury rate of 3% for all other kitchen fires. To make sure you stay as safe as possible in the kitchen: – Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone. – Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire. – Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire. – Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.- Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls – Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire. – Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily.

If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer – they can’t overheat.

ADO Noakes said: “If a fire does break out in your kitchen the do not attempt to tackle it yourself. Just get yourself and your family out and call the fire service, We can deal with the fire safely and quickly. “The best advice I can give is make sure that you fit, and regularly test, a smoke alarm. It is the single most important piece of safety equipment in any home. A smoke alarm provides vital warning that a fire has broken out waking sleeping people up and giving everyone time to get safely out.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest

More articles