Thursday, July 25, 2024

Fleet hold Rocks to a draw in FA Trophy

FA Trophy 2nd Qualifying Rnd

East Thurrock 1 v 1 Thurrock

THIS WAS not a classic derby but both teams worked hard as Thurrock came from behind to hold East Thurrock 1-1 in the FA Trophy at Rookery Hill.

In the early stages, Thurrock found it difficult to get a toe hold in the game as the Rocks marshalled them easily.

However, a neat curling shot by Harry Honesty in the 7th minute, showed that the Fleet could be a dangerous outfit.

The first corner of the game went to the Rocks. Reiss Gilbey sent it over but it went tamely off.

A minute later, he sent over another but it was even lamer.

A rare Thurrock attack by Honesty was snuffed out but at the other end Spencer Harrison had a perfect chance in the 18th minute as the ball sat up nicely for him six yards out but he scuffed the shot wide.

A dreadful pass back by Stuart Thurgood left Hakem Araba in, he as pulled back by Matt Turpin, who was lucky to just receive a yellow card.

Again, the Rocks should have scored from the free kick but keeper David Hughes did well to save.

The first goal came in the 30th minute. Great running by Hakem Araba earned the Rocks a corner. Gilbey floated one over and Sam Higgins easily jumped to head in from close range.

The game descended into a series of niggly tackles and unforced errors as Thurrock continued to struggle to make an impression. Stuart Thurgood had two opportunities but they both went way over the bar.

The second half began, quietly, but the game did start to open up with Harry Honesty finding more space on the left for Thurrock and the whole Rocks attack finding acres of space as well.

But from nowhere, the Fleet equalised. Rocks conceded a needless free kick in the 68th minute. Ben Walster floated it over and Charlie Stimson took his chance to bundle the ball home.

You wondered at this point, whether the FA Cup exertions would take their toll on the Rocks.

However, you could see why Thurrock’s position at the bottom of the league was mis-leading. They are well organised and determined. They may not be the most exciting team but they are very promising.

Rocks had a great chance in the 83rd minute. Reiss Gilbey whipped over the free kick, Sam Higgins met it, poked it towards the goal but again David Hughes did a fine job, saving from point blank.

Players scuffled at the final whistle, with one Thurrock player receiving a red card and three East Thurrock players booked.

Thurrock finished the stronger team without really creating a clear chance but they will look forward to the replay at Ship Lane on Tuesday at 7.45pm.

East Thurrock United: Wray R, Newby K, Stephen T, Peddie S, Harrison S (Gorbell M 63), Parmenter R, Ruel K, Gilbey R, Higgins S, Araba H, Collins S.

Subs not used: Sammons R, Hall M, Keith J, Riley J

Thurrock: Hughes D, Jones, Turpin, Griffin F, Walster, Woodward, Thurgood S, Wanadio L, Okah (Griffiths L 49), Stimson, Honesty

Subs not used: Obaywant O, Viner W, Oneymah M, Jeffries J


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles