2330 hrs 6.11.12
RESIDENTS from houses that were evacuated due to the fire at GraysWood shop in Stanley Road, Grays have found homes for the night.
The residents were initially taken to the nearby Thameside complex on Orsett Road, Grays where senior Thurrock Council officials were on hand to deal with arrangements.
At the fire which was dealt with by ten crews, the smouldering buildings were being watched in case they collapsed.
Highway officers were on hand to create diversions and watch the building.
Council leader, cllr John Kent was on hand to co-ordinate operations.
Cllr Kent said: “First things first, no-one has been harmed from the fire. The fire service and all their support, once again have done a marvellous job in difficult circumstances.
“Our officers are on hand to give whatever support they can.”
By 11.30pm, YT understands that all residents had found alternative places of residence.
Questions will be asked whether the fire at Grays Beach Park and this fire or indeed the one at the disused Tilbury Leisure Centre are related.