Sunday, March 3, 2024

Football: Rocks sunk by powerful Trawlermen

Ryman Premier

East Thurrock United 0 v 2  Lowestoft Town

EAST THURROCK United threw away three important points against a tough and determined Lowestoft Town at Rookery Hill.

With the pitch cutting up early on, it was always going to be a tough battle at Rookery Hill.

The Rocks were missing the suspended skipper Reiss Gilbey.

The promotion-chasing Trawlermen played a patient game, using the width to spray the ball around the park.

But it was the Rocks who edged the possession. Kris Newby sent over a free kick in the 16th minute but it only produced a melee that ended with a foul.

The first real chance came to Michael Frew in the 20th minute, who having bundled the ball into the box, only had the keeper to beat but Rocks’ Elliott Justham did well to block the shot.

The referee, Mr Cooper was trying to keep the game flowing.

You always had the feeling that this game may be decided by an error than a sublime piece of skill.

The game was turned on its head in the 29th minute when a reckless challenge by Lowestoft’s Michael Frew saw a straight red being issued.

But Lowestoft were a dangerous outfit. In the 29th minute, a free kick sent over from the wing by Henderson was well held by keeper Justham but abrasive attacker Kris Newby was seen to elbow a Lowestoft attacker and was sent off. Dale Cockrill drilled the ball past the East Thurrock keeper.

The Rocks fought back. Key Ruel curled a shot that just went over the bar and a minute later, Hakeem Araba went close with a diving header.

Rocks came out determined and put the Trawlermen under the cosh for the next fifteen minutes. Hakeem Aaraba should have had a free kick when he was fouled when trying to break free. A number of corners rained down but Rocks could not find that extra edge.

In the 63rd minute, Sam Collins broke free, got into the area but the ball got stuck underneath him.

It was good to see former Grays player, James Lawson come on for the Rocks as they pressed to rescue a point.

It was becoming end to end. Sam Gaughran produced a fierce shot that Justham did well to save and again at the other end, Sam Collins again went close.

The game was put beyond doubt when Jack Defty tucked the ball away in the area in the 81st minute.

Att: 201

East Thurrock United: Justham E, Sammons R, Stephen T, Peddie S, Wood B, Collins S, Newby K (Red), Parmenter R, Araba H, Smith K, Ruel K.

Subs not used: Burgess L, Mason D, Pooley M, O’Baze D, Lawson J

Lowestoft Town: Plummer A, Saker B, Cockrill D, Okay E, Williams C, Gaughran S, Henderson C, Mitchell S, Defty S, Frew M, Francis J.

Subs not used: Fisk A, Cunningham D, Newson S, Smith L, Dawkin J.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles