Football: Stones too strong for the Blues

Ryman Premier

Wealdstone 3 v 1 Grays Athletic

DESPITE taking the lead in five minutes, three second half goals by Wealdstone saw Grays go down 3-1 at the St George’s Stadium.

Grays earned the first free kick in second minute when Joao Carlos was upended near the half way line. Although it came to nothing, the winger looked like he wanted to make more of an impression than of late.

And sure enough, in the 5th minute, Carlos got down the left flank, beat two players, sent it across the area nad Jeff Hammond slid into score.

Grays were ebullient and could have had a second when Hammond shot from close range but the keeper North did well to score.

Hammond went close again in the 11th minute with a glancing header as Grays appeared unrecognisable from the team that succumbed against Hornchurch and Daventry.

Wealdstone were reeling but Grays should really have done better with another chance from Carlos.

The Stones did not have a chance until the 14th minute when Scott McGleish just failed to connect. They had another chance when keeper Lamar Johnson spilled the ball into the path of Chris Moore. It looked like he clipped Moore as he recovered the ball but the referee let play carry on.

The Stones earned a free kick in the 25th minute when McGleish was upended at the edge of the box. It cam to nothing but heralded a period of sustained pressure from the home team.

The rains came, the winds blew and Grays were now in a game. In the 32nd minute, Johnson made a great save from Moore.

Lee Flynn was victim of a nasty challenge on the edge of the box for James Hammond which was booked. Kenny Beaney’s free kick went straight into the wall.

It did not take long for the Stones to equalise in the second half. In the 48th minute, Wealdstone attacked, the ball skidded across the area and hit the arm of David East who was lying on the floor. Unjustly, the referee pointed to the spot. Scott McGleish scored.

Grays had lost the momentum from the half hour and it was now a matter of plan B or holding on. But for the next ten minutes, the Blues held their own and even the sun came back out.

The danger from the Stones was coming down the left side through left back Jey Siva.

At the other end,  Grays started to look dangerous again and Joao Carlos had a close range shot headed off the line.

A great cross by sub Jon Wright was hoofed over the bar for a corner by David East. From the corner, Tom Hamblin headed it goalward, Lamar Johnson pushed it away but it went in off the post.

The game was put beyond doubt with a lovely move by the Stones which resulted in Tom Pett neatly tucking the ball away.

Grays do not have a league game until November 9th which gives them plenty of time to think.

Att: 554

Grays Ath: Johnson L, Pope C, Flynn L, Nightingill J, East D, Cruickshank A (Moses B 88), Lalite L, Beaney K, Ramos-Gonzalez A  (Maxwell R 59) , Hammond J ( West J 80), Carlos J,

Subs not used:  Fry D, Kirby R

Wealdstone: North J, Hammond J, Siva J, Hamblin T, Okimo J, Godfrey E, Godfrey E, Little G, Pigden L, McGleish S, Moore C (Wright J 60), Pett T

Subs not used:  Haxhia A, Bentley M, Dean P, Bailey S

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.