Thursday, February 22, 2024

RSPCA issue warning after cats poisoned in South Ockendon

THE RSPCA have warned pet owners to be on their guard after two cats were poisoned by drinking anti-freeze in South Ockendon.

The two cats arrived home after being out all night and appeared lethargic, were experiencing fits and struggling to stand.

Despite the owner’s best efforts, rushing both her pets to the vets they both died.

RSPCA Inspector Adam Jones said: “It is very sad this owner lost both her cats within the space of a couple of weeks.

“At this stage we do not know if this is an accidental incident or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their anti-freeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.

“It is possible that people were simply unaware of the potential hazards to cats when they poured the antifreeze away.

“Similarly we cannot rule out that this was a deliberate act of cruelty and would ask anyone who has information to this effect to contact us immediately.

“Whatever the circumstances we want to warn all cat owners of the dangers of antifreeze poisoning.

“Unfortunately the taste of antifreeze is very attractive to cats and ingesting just the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death.”

If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.

Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, the maximum penalty for those found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles