Football: Lethal Ladapo secures three vital away points for Grays

Ryman Premier

Tonbridge Angels 1 v 2 Grays Athletic

TWO clinical first half strikes ensured three valuable away points for Grays Athletic against Tonbridge Angels.

The first incident of the game was a nasty tackle on Mark Bentley that stopped the game for five minutes. Many were surprised that the Tonbridge player did not receive a caution.

The first chance of the game came from a glancing header from Angel’s Nathan Campbell that failed to reach the target.

Jay Leader went into the book for a tame tug on the Angels defender as the Kent side enjoyed the best of the early exchanges.

Grays were struggling to get a grip on the game and were only being helped by poor final balls from Tonbridge.

However, in the 29th minute, Grays opened the scoring after a wonderful individual run by Demebi Dumaka. He used power and finesse to get round the Tonbridge players before driving the ball home.

The powerful striker could have scored a second when after a neat exchange with Jordan Wilson saw his curling shot go over the bar.

Tonbridge went into themselves for ten minutes or so until a dipping shot from Billy Windmill saw Conor Gough do well to parry it away.

Grays went further ahead in the 40th minute when Freddie Ladapo’s shot gave the keeper no chance.

Grays boss, Jody Brown must have been delighted that his team showed such a clinical nature in front of goal.

The home team had a great chance to get back in the game on the stroke of half time but Chris Piper’s chip from six yards went over.

Tonbridge came back out for the second half and nearly bundled the ball home from close range.

The Angels were awarded a penalty in the 49th minute when Windmill was upended in the box but Conor Gough produced a great one handed save for Grays.

Grays had control of the game and it was the strength of their strike force that seemed to bother Tonbridge the most.

Tonbridge got back in the game after a good period of passing. A cross came over to the left said and an unmarked John Parkinson put a half volley into the net.

Grays were in danger of losing control of the game. They had not been able to develop a sustained period of pressure and were constantly giving the ball away.

The Blues brought on Glen Little to stem the flow of attacks. The momentum increased immediately as the game stretched.

Billy Windmill had another chance that hit the bar as the game looked like it could go either way. Another curling shot by Tonbridge nearly sneaked in while at the other end, Grays hit the woodwork three times as they could not put the game beyond doubt.

However, Angels just couldn’t find the equaliser and Grays were able to secure three very valuable points.

Grays Athletic: Gough C, Best A, Siva J, Bentley M, Parry M, Leader J (Little G 73), Wilson J, Beaney K,Dumaka D ( Guy J 67), Ladapo F, Carlos J (Bryan C 76)

Subs not used: Glowacki J , Zefara J,

Tonbridge Angels: Merson K, Folkes J, Parter J, Carey L (Teniola A 60),, Ball L, Campbell N, Piper C, Parkinson T, Medlock B, Whitnell T, Okojie D

Subs not used: Tavares F, Slocombe C, McCarthy C, Brivio J

Referee: Danny Bonnywell

Attendance: 455

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.