Saturday, April 13, 2024

Rugby: Stanford rugby round-up

Stanford Rugby weekend round up 10th-11th January 2015

Stanford 1st Team (22) – Basildon 2nds (0)

Basildon were let down by a few players at the last minute but in the spirit of playing the game Sean Thompson and Michael Kite both agreed to swap shirts and play for Basildon. The first 10 minutes was very even with both teams playing open rugby and both just not able to finish off the attack due to good defence of errors.

The early rust was evident in some of the plays made by Stanford but as the game went on the support and structure started to improve. Stanford was first to open the scoring when Kyle Munro was on hand to finish off a flowing backs move with a strong run and excellent angle.

Stanford were moving the ball well and Dominic McDonald was presenting the back line with speedy ball. With the strong cross field winds Stanford were begin clever with their and McDonald was pivotal to the 2nd Stanford try. The forwards had set the platform for McDonald to send the ball to Calum Reid at Fly Half. Reid popped to inside centre Sam Herbert who threw a long ball to winger Adam Gander. Gander’s aggressive run pushed the play forward and just at the last moment he off loaded to a looping McDonald who crossed the Basildon line.

The 2nd half ended with Stanford in the lead 10 – 0 and in charge of the game.

Stanford started the 2nd half well and McDonald was on hand to set Jared Gounden off towards the Basildon line just after 5 minutes of play. With his way block Gounden off loaded a perfectly time ball to Gander who was on hand to score Stanford’s third try and one that he truly deserved after all his efforts so far.

Stanford now had the upper hand and were playing well through their forwards and backs. Ash Smith was the claim the fourth and final try after the forwards had driven hard towards the Basildon line.

Stanford’s man of the match was well deserved by Adam Gander.

Burnham u16s ( 26 ) – Stanford u16s( 31)

Stanford’s u16’s travelled to Burnham on Sunday for their latest encounter in essex 2.

Conditions were good although a bit windy and both sides only had 14 players, the game started and Burnham put Stanford under pressure straight away, Stanford were defending well but kept shooting themselves in the foot by giving away silly penalties. Burnham took the lead with a good forwards try, this rocked Stanford into life the forwards were now competing at the breakdown and the backs were running riot with some good moves. Stanford got a try in the corner which Harry Taylor converted. Stanford then decided to concede 5 or 6 penalties in succession to allow Burnham to score again. Half time came and after a rocket from the coaches the red men sparked into full flow, they completely bossed the second half backs and forwards were working well together and almost scoring at will. The only thing the final score reflected was Stanford’s ability to allow teams into a game with their silly penalty count. Try scorers on the day were Adam Lakey 2, Jack Cochrane and Harry Tillett. Harry Taylor converted all 4 and also added a penalty, man of the match was Harry Tillett with mentions going to Harry Taylor and Jarrod De Wit.

Stanford u15’s (32) – Braintree u15’s (5)

Stanford under 15s opened their account in 2015 with a visit from league opponents Braintree. Braintree had been hit by a few injuries during the week and arrived with just 14 players. In the spirit of the game Daniel Davidson stepped up and played for Braintree in the first half.

Expecting some rust after such a long Christmas lay off the Stanford players did not disappoint. Unnecessary forced moves, some interesting decision making and over zealous efforts to score all lead to several early missed opportunities from Stanford. As Stanford settled down they were getting more of the territory. With a scrum just inside the 22 and centre of the field, fly half Ben Kelly called for a training field move, which wrong footed the Braintree defence and Joe Duligall sprinted in under the posts. Duligall stepped up and comfortably added the extra points giving Stanford 7 – 0 lead after just 6 minutes.

Stanford were still at times trying to hard to make individual gains and were beaten back by a strong Braintree defence. When Stanford did use the ball first through their strong forward pack and then out in the backs they looked very good and one such move resulted in Peter Colbert receiving an excellently weighted and timed ball from Kelly leaving him just the opposing winger to beat which he did finishing off with a dive for the line. The try was wide out and the wind not favourable to the kickers. Duligall gave it a very valid attempt but the conditions just weren’t having it.

From the restart Braintree got a well earned try through their strong running players and although the score was 12 – 5 at half time Braintree looked like they would battle hard in the 2nd half.

Having had a good game for Braintree Davidson swapped his shirt for a Stanford one with James Colbert who took over for Braintree

As the game restarted Stanford switched the ball out wide and Davidson now in Stanford colours sprinted down the wing and just managed to stretch over the line to increase Stanford’s lead to 17 – 5.

Stanford’s pack had been enjoying the lion share of the battle between the forwards. Ben Kersch-Hunt who was playing only his 2nd game of the season after collecting a nasty injury on the opening day of the season was determined to make up for lost time. Kersch-Hunt picking up from number 8 made a herculean run straight towards the posts and it looked like he would get a well deserved try on his return but Braintree’s defence was outstanding and stopped him just short. Stanford’s forwards were fast to the break down and tried to power on. Braintree battled back and it looked like for a moment that the hard work would come to nothing but then Harvey Cassidy used his power and strength to make an opening and touched down for Stanford’s fourth try.

Ross Gale had been working hard off the side of the scrum all game long and had made many hard yards pushing his team forward, so when he crossed the line with just two minutes to go it was truly a deserved 5 points and a proper forwards muscle try.

With just over a minute on the clock Stanford finished off the game when Jake Tottman broke free and touched down for the sixth and final Stanford try.

An okay day out for Stanford and whilst the performance lacked some structure and cohesion it all came together in the end with a 32 – 5 win. Stanford’s man of the match was Ross Gale who had been pivotal in majority of Stanford’s plays.

Other Stanford results

Stanford Sirens (36) – Hampstead ladies (0)

Stanford u14s’s (52 – Basildon u14’s (21)


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles