YT is always indebted to Essex detective, DI Rob Huddleston. Clearly a top cop dedicated to fighting crime, he also helps disseminate information by tweeting out any thefts of vehicles across the borough.
It could be our imagination but there does appear to have been a real spike in recent months.
Just this morning, the DI reported the following thefts:
1. Stolen overnight 1-2Feb Whitehall Rd Grays black Ford Focus Zetec L400ONA. Sightings to 101 please.
2. Stolen overnight 1-2Feb Quince Tree Close South Ockenden White Ford Transit BG63KLM. Sightings to 101 please
3. Stolen overnight 1-2Feb Lime Close South Ockenden silver Ford Transit EO62WLA. Sightings to 101 please.
4. Stolen overnight 1-2Feb Celandine Close South Ockenden white Ford Transit HX63JXV. Sightings to 101 please
5. Stolen overnight 1-2Feb Toplands Ave, Aveley white Mercedes Sprinter KV60WZH. Sightings to 101 please.
Perhaps, the Essex Police Federation are right with their campaign: "The Cuts have consequences"
Last week, an "off duty cop" spoke to BBC Radio 4 in Little Thurrock. He said that "Just a few years ago, there were around 40 cops mustering at any one time. Now there is just six."
And these are only the ones that have been reported.