Monday, September 26, 2022

Hockey: Men survive the drop

Hockey Reports

Men’s 1st team Div 3 South East

Thurrock 5 v 2 Maldon

This was the game that determined whether Thurrock was going to be relegated or not therefore the team went out with high motives and a positive spirit. Thurrock felt confident to start pressuring the visitors which lead to an unbelievable strike put past the keeper by Steven Edwards.

The second goal was put home by captain Thomas Ing to give the home side a cushion to take into half time.

With the second half starting with the same energy as first half ended. Freddie Taylor missed an unfortunate opportunity but then with a second shortly after put away his first goal of the season..

Thurrock lost their way and the away side punished them with two short goals.

Thurrock took control again with some good link up play from man of the match Jeff West and Christian Jenkins to gain one each on the score sheet taking the final score to 5-2 ensuring Thurrock stay out of the relegation zone for another year with one game left to play.

Div 7 South East.

Crostyx men’s 3rd team v Thurrock men’s 2nd team. 2-1 to Crostyx.

Thurrock sadly ended their league season with a defeat, although it had no effect to their final league position of 5th.

Tee’s played the game with no goalkeeper, so skipper Mark Mager played as kicking back. This started off well with Thurrock dominating possession, but failed to put any pressure on the young Crostyx keeper in the first half.

Late on in the first half Crostyx won a short corner which was cleared from the goal, but in the follow up shot the ball struck a Thurrock defenders feet resulting in a penalty flick, easily converted to take Crostyx into half time one up.

The second half started similarly, but Crostyx started to put on the pressure. Jordan Salmon led the Thurrock defence well and was quick to get the ball to the Thurrock attack. Crostyx doubled the lead when their winger snuck in towards the back post to tap in a well placed pass.

Thurrock got their one goal when Callum Harvey broke free from his defender, slipped the ball past the keeper only to see it cleared off the line by a Crostyx defender, though he had the forethought to follow up his run and intercepted the clearance to score his 3rd goal in his 3 2nd team games.

Thurrock stay in Division 7 and will be looking to improve again next season and push for promotion.


As Crostyx were ejected from Division 9SE two weeks ago, this game was played as a friendly. In the early stages the visitors played the better hockey and forced Thurrock into defence. After 15 minutes Crostyx went into the lead from a shot which deflected in off a defender’s stick. Thurrock worked hard to restore the balance with Jack Couch shooting inches wide after collecting a pass from Max Blake, but the score remained 0-1 at half time.

Thurrock claimed the upper hand and exerted pressure on the Crostyx defence which eventually led to Michael Fleming dribbling into the area before passing the ball for Ryan Jones to score inside the far post. The game flowed from end to end with both teams having chances. With 5 minutes to go as Thurrock pushed forwards for the winner, an intercepted pass allowed Crostyx to move the ball quickly up the field and a speedy attacker flicked the ball into the net.

Thurrock Ladies 2 played league winners Colchester this week at home. The top of the league side put pressure on Thurrock throughout but only managed one goal in the first half. Thurrock’s goalkeeper, Kelly Bentley was player of match after providing match-saving performance throughout. The end result was 1-0 to the visitors.

Thurrock Ladies 3rds. 0 v 3 Chelmsford

Ts can be proud of their performance against the league champions.

Ts held the frustrated Chelmsford team to 0-0 for 35 minutes.their supporters were willing the team to settle as they needed to win to take the title.Thurrock fought well and were determined to spoil their party!

Shannon Harvey caused panic as she broke through their defence on a number of occasions.

When Chelmsford scored their goal the relief was obvious. A second goal was added from a well placed corner. Katie Lawrence worked tirelessly encouraging the youngsters.

Jade Franklin made some dangerous runs down the right flank.

The second half saw a very tight defence with stand in GK LAURA REYNOLDS quite rightly deserving her player if the match status.

The challenge proved a step too far and Chelmsford scored a third

Yet another fighting performance from the ladies


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


More articles