Grays man caged for six years as dramatic footage shows him ram police motorcyclist

A GRAYS teenager was today jailed for six years after he admitted ramming a police motorcyclist who had tried to stop him for speeding in a stolen car on the A13.

Dramatic video footage was shown at Southend Crown Court before 18-year-old Martin Galbraith was sentenced.

The footage from cameras on the unmarked motorbike showed how a routine patrol led to a horrific crash and a lucky escape for Pc Paul Hills, a member of the Essex Police Casualty Reduction Team.

Pc Hills was on the westbound A13 near Grays at about 2pm on Tuesday January 27 when a BMW joined the carriageway from the Stifford slip road and sped into the outside lane.

He followed the car as it accelerated to well over 100mph, and at some stages reached 130mph.

When the car braked hard and moved into the inside lane Pc Hills pulled in front and indicated to the driver to follow him.

As the car was escorted off at the A13 the BMW edged closer to the rear of thE motorbike.

Video footage from roadside CCTV shows how the bike was pushed for about 35 yards before it crashed on the roundabout where the BMW was then hit by a van.

The BMW then reversed and drove off at speed into Ferry Lane, Rainham where it lost control on a roundabout and struck a wall.

Galbraith ran off into an industrial estate but was quickly caught when the police helicopter and a dog joined the search for him.

Investigations later revealed that the BMW had been stolen in Manor Park east London on December 18 and was being driven on false plates from another BMW. Galbraith had bought the car cheaply knowing it had been stolen.

Pc Hills was taken to Broomfield Hospital and treated for severe back pain. He was off work until February 9 and had to attend a rehabilitation centre due to his injuries.

Galbraith, unemployed of Boscombe Avenue, Grays, admitted attempted grievious bodily harm with intent, aggravated vehicle taking, driving without insurance and having no driving licence.

He was remanded in custody to appear for sentence at Southend Crown Court today, Wednesday May 20. He was also banned from driving for five years.

After the hearing Inspector Scott Egerton of the Essex Police Serious Collision Investigation Unit said: "Pc Hills is lucky to be alive. Galbraith clearly had no intention of stopping to answer questions about his speeding and not only rammed the back of the motorbike but also pushed it about 35 yards into the path of oncoming vehicles already on the roundabout.

"We believe that Galbraith then tried a second time to drive at Pc Hills as he was laying on the ground but he was saved from further injury because, luckily, another vehicle was in the way.

"As Galbraith sped away from the scene witnesses saw him laughing, but that soon stopped when he lost control on the next roundabout and crashed into a wall.

"This was clearly an appalling case of a criminal who was prepared to stop at nothing to avoid detection for having a stolen car.

"Excellent teamwork between Essex officers and colleagues in the Metropolitan Police resulted in Galbraith being quickly found and arrested. We would also like to thank the members of the public who stopped to help Pc Hills when he was on the ground.

"The sentence here today shows how police and the courts are determined to bring thieves and reckless drivers to justice and make roads safer for law-abiding members of the public.

"Galbraith is a dangerous individual and the community is safer now that he is behind bars.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.